Impossible Summer Project #2 - Voltage Regulators

DISCLAIMER: "Impossible" refers to me not having any real free-time to get any of these projects done; they are not hard to do.

Now that I have power source, I need a way to control it. I was going to build some type of voltage control into the PSU, but then I wouldn't be able to use it with batteries on the go. It is supposed to be semi-portable.

I used a watch case, 2 sets of banana jacks, a couple of DPDT switches, a momentary switch, and racing switch covers. The 2 voltage regulator modules are from Ebay. One of them takes voltage and drop it to something lower, the other one takes voltage and raises it something higher. The first switch does (from left, center, right), Always On / Off / Momentary Switch. The second switch determines which board is used. it has a single input for test cables, and an output for test cables.

-

Cover Open

Inputs, Outputs, and Momentary Switch

Boards Removed, Magnifying card will be mounted inside the cover.

Racing Switch Covers, looks like the birdie when they are up

-

I had the thing working for a while until I realized that I did something stupid. I have the (+) inputs for each board on a separate switch, but their (+) outputs were shared. The boards to not have protection for power feeding back into it and I blew one or both of them. I meant to add a diode but wasn't exactly sure I can just add it without changing anything. If anyone has any advice on that it would help for the next version.

Overall the thing is not really practical, but I will find a few uses for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...