Shure M44-7

I stupidly let my friend borrow my Ortofon QBert. He then lost the cartridge and the cool little Ortofon case and cartridge, used his own black Ortofon and then returned the needle... broken.

Option 1: Murder him, bury his idiot body in some kind of building site/concrete-setting-type scenario and wing it. I am pretty sure I would have gotten away with it.

Option 2: Let him off the hook a little, wait for an £80 replacement and ask for a replacement M44-7 stylus for £25-£30.

Obviously I am a pussy so I went for the latter... I have to say though: not the worst cartridge ever and it tracks so much better on my QFO.

The QBert Orfofon is noticeably louder, but the Shure just will not move. I am very pleased.

It looks like I went for fashion over functionality and I paid the price (literally). It looks much better too - that little red Vestax logo on the headshell is nice to see. I feel so ashamed. Gold ones? I really do want them though...!

#willneverlearn

• Like 1

Oh - I forgot to say - he's not even a turntablist. He is a good DJ, but I cannot help thinking that a real TT would have never asked in the first place, knowing the true value of a good cartridge and if he did, he would not have treated it in such a way.

Murder is still an option, thinking about it...

Oh - I forgot to say - he's not even a turntablist. He is a good DJ, but I cannot help thinking that a real TT would have never asked in the first place, knowing the true value of a good cartridge and if he did, he would not have treated it in such a way.

Murder is still an option, thinking about it...

I don't want to be a dick but I am never lending my shit out again. Ever. I would advise you the same.

• Like 1

I fell out with someone over a satellite receiver. We'd been friends for over 15 years and I offered to lend him my receiver worth £150. He claims it "broke" as soon as it was plugged in and after a few weeks with no communication, claims he threw it away.

I wanted to punch him at the time, but instead I have learned a valuable and expensive lesson. Don't lend stuff out, but if you do, agree with the person that if anything happens in their possession, they replace it.

He should deffo replace the lot. Like for like. losing stuff isn't acceptable.

Yep, "bend it you buy it" is what I say to anyone I lend stuff to, plus I wouldn't consider a mate a friend not worth having if they didn't offer to pay you back.

Equally I would never lend anything fragile to someone, even with proper care needles can jus die on you.

The only negatives for me against M44-7 is how much handruff they collect while using DVS. They also seem to come out the factory at different quality levels, apart from that there a scratchers best friend.

Eric that sucks a mate of 15 years plus did that, on the up side you could be inline for another feels badge.

• Like 1

One of my friends broke my orto pink cart, fucking tramp refused to pay for it, even though I witnessed that cunt break it in front of me! Tried saying it was already fucked, which it wasn't

Basically he just blacklisted himself from my set up. Can we have a mix he might say, yeah sure, if you bought your own records and needles & headphones... Basically, my reply is short and sweet, no you'll wear my shit out!

I dunno what everyone's problem is - they know that it is your hobby/passion but they think that breaking/stealing/losing your tools is acceptable? Sorry - do you not know me at all?

Fuck 'em. He is going to replace it eventually - I have shown him mercy because his finances are a bit long at the moment. If he doesn't, I need someone with a large boot and access to a building site.

• Like 1

Yeah. I pretty much dont' lend stuff out anymore. I have one friend I will sometimes lend my spare needles to but that's it. My old roomie was a fucking deadbeat. Lent him my decks and told him explicitly that any damage he alone was responsible for. One was dropped down a flight of stairs. Totally fucked. Never paid me back. Had to spot him numerous times on rent too. After we parted he had the money to buy turntables for himself but not to replace mine then couldn't figure out why I didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore. Prick.

In the words of ChrisGroove "447's stick like shit sticks to a shoe." My table is super janky...mad wobbly...but my 447 seldom skips. If I'm on a good setup, I can go hard for a week and not skip period. They sound great too.

I've had people accidentially break my gear in the past, but I just try to move forward as quickly as possible. IE...get a replacement right quick and drop the sorrow, it only causes more pain. Fuck it.

Peace.