Any old B-boys?

d00ban

Now I've never even attempted to break in my life but I've been putting together a b-boy playlist (in case I have to DJ for some on Thursday).

I was looking at this list:

http://www.bboy.org/threads/a-huge-list-of-songs-to-break-to.30970/

I've got loads of the tracks already but just wanted to make sure of something.

It has tracks like DWYCK listed, which seem a lot slower than the majority of other tracks which are around the 115 bpm mark. Basically, what is the max and minimum BPMs that B-boys like to get down to? Or is it based on other factors more ie rhythm etc?

Cheers big ears!

Guest Symatic

im not a breaker either but its a bit like scratching as far as i can tell . you get people who prefer certain bpms, people who rock power moves all day, people who dance over any beat, people who improvise and go with style over technique.... but having said that I still think the classic bpm would be something like 115-120. apache speed!

When I was DJing at a breakdance battle for a while I used to just stick-ish to the same BPM as 'I know you got soul'. I didn't have a great amount of knowledge of what they liked so stuck to that for safety. They were happy, concentrating on dancing more than the music, I guess.

Some suggestions:

http://www.discogs.com/Beastie-Boys-Ch-Check-It-Out/release/412007 The Just Blaze remix

and the tracks on here:

and here:

Cheers y'all,

I'll just stick to around 110 - 120 I guess, should have plenty of tunes to fill the time.

I can't really remember if they were old or young from last time, I wasn't paying attention. I might not even have to do it but might be fun any who.

Myself and Paul used to play gigs with the now defunct Welsh B-Boy crew, The Uprock Addicts. Good times!

Basically I agree with the advice above, but would add that they might be fussier if it was contest or something and that if it's just for fun anything from uptempo hip hop speed (98-100bpm+ kind of stuff) is workable. Often, much like scratching, how much the B-Boy is feeling the beat is just as important as tempo - I remember stuff like "Wu Tang Clan Ain't Nuthin..." getting a great response, even though it was obviously slower than a more traditional B-Boy Break. I guess to some extent it depends on B-Boys in attendance.

Just avoid slow hip hop plodders, dubstep and trance :)

Agreed, you've got to see who's on the floor at the time. I used to stick a bit of electro on when I saw some of the poppers lingering at the side of the floor waiting for the right tune. All part of the show.

Yeah, what frost said.

Also, I must say that when you're playing for B-Boys and you're getting it right and they're in the right mood and feeling the music, there's nothing quite like it. Such a buzz.

In my limited experience B-Boy's really come to life when they've got a bit of friendly competition. Back in the car show days with the Uprock Addicts, there would sometimes be other crews (and on one odd occasion, the cast of Dirty Sanchez) working on other stands who'd come over to check out what was happening and end up battling. I'll never forget a drizlly Sunday morning at Doncaster Racecourse when this occurred - we'd had so much grief with laying cardboard and lino and avoiding the rain, but as soon as an impromptu battle was on all that was ripped up, hangovers were forgotten and the bare wet tarmac suddenly became a perfectly viable option.

• Like 1

FUNNILY ENOUGH I saw Foly on Saturday night hanging with a crew of mature B Boys including Matt, or DJ Format as I know him! He's cool, just living real world life, not really in a position to fuck about on the b0ardz these days