Teaching cuts

supacuts

If you had a specially-modified mixer and turntable with crude "polygraph pens" attached to them and some paper feeding though (perhaps with lines that denote bars on them), would one not be able to decipher that information and learn scratches from them?

Think of it like a live "TTM" writer.

Or am I still drunk and that is a shit idea?

Guest rasteri

I've thought about doing this but electronically, using a mixer with MIDI-crossfader-output and timecode records (as well as some sorta timecode decoder). It'd be fairly simple to hack it together using bits of xwax and stuff. I ain't gunna do it though.

• Like 1

Guest rasteri

To be honest actually, this would be quite a useful tool in many ways. You could use it to teach scratches to other people, to analyze your timing and accuracy when cutting, to figure out exactly what it is you're doing when you invent a new combo, etc... Hell you could even have it go the other way and use it to edit mistakes out of your scratching (like you can edit midi notes played in on a keyboard).

I could totally hack something together but it's a couple nights' work, and it'd only run on linux coz xwax is linux-only. If I could clone myself and have one copy of me do this and the other work on the faderbox etc then I'd totally be up for it, but I only got so much free time. Maybe if enough people requested it...