Which mixer to buy in 2014?

For the last few months I've been thinkin about which mixer to get to replace my old mk2 05 that really is on it's last legs lol.

I've been lookin at various opinions on forums an that regarding what is available now new. Was thinkin of buyin new as it would be good to get some form of warranty as a lot of the mixers I've been lookin at are not much newer than my 05 lol.

As you can imagine at this point I'm lookin for something that is generally an upgrade. Lol don't really rule much out haha.

I've been thinkin in 2014 is the 56 still the top dog. I mean other mixers have had a few years to develop a following now so is the 56 still there go to mixer?

I've been lookin at the scratchbox cos it seems the only people that day it ain't the ultimate mixer are those that ain't used one. Never heard 1 complaint. But I also heard there was some difficulty in finding replacement faders.

Then there is the rane. I've already got a sl2 box an a set of dicers so have got no intention of getting anything like the 61 or 62 which is why I was lookin at the 56. But has a 12+ year vestax owner will I be able to get along with te faders on the rane? Maybe,maybe not will have to have a go an see. But if I can't it's back to the drawing board lol. Of course there's the lastest 05 which looks pretty cool an many have commented on how nice the fader is bit to be honest whilst my vestax has lasted well it has always sounded pretty shitty compared to others. So I'm not sure about that.

I know posts like these are really subjective but anyone else been in a similar boat? I like te idea of the scratchbox as it has control over the line faders which I don't think the 56 has. But I don't wanna cop one an end up struggling for parts. Ie replacement faders an the like.

I've still got my 06 from 15 odd years ago. I've tried a fair few mixers and while its nice to bash away at other peoples equipment, its always nice to get back on your own. I'd say if your mixer is beyond repair but you like the old dog, get a cheap 2nd hand replacement and wack an inno in there. That's what I will do the day mine dies!

If you are wanting to upgradings..... that I have no clue about :)

Guest Symatic

I reckon you have just as much of a switch up with either the rane or the rodec.

Both will sound great, but the rodec faders feel totally different to vestax as well.

The rane feels solid but the fader cap is rounded, and fairly small. The faders travel less distance too.

The rodec faders feel super light and the caps are different again, with a bit of a ridge at the top.

56 also has a slight fade when the cut in is set to minimum. Its like a 2 step fade, if you push it out half a mm its like half on, push it a full mm and its on. This results in a slightly softer sounding cut when youre doing crabs and fast chops, similar to the slight fade you seem to get on vestax i feel.

Id say the main reason to get either of those mixers you mentioned is for sound quality and connectivity.

For familiarity just grab another vestax and if you want an upgrade just bang an inno in there like eric said!

Cheers for the input boys. I recently re soldered the inputs on my 05 but fucked the gain an mid pots so now they are permanently fixed lol don't ask!

So for practicing on its fine. I was thinkin about gettin an innofader for sometime then the dj tech mixers showed up an I started thinkibg about a new mixer. I do workshops from time to time for kids so decided if I get another mixer the 05 can be used by the kids an when it does eventually die I'll replace it with one of the dj tech mixers or another 05/6 if a cheap one comes along.

Either way I guess I need to have a play about with what ever I get as these mixers cost a fair bit to just buy without using first. Definately lookin to improve sound quality tho. Out of interest some people have complained about the rane faders on the 56s compared to the original 56 ones. You guys heard or experienced this?

I found the transition from stock vestax faders to stock rane faders pretty easy. Maybe a few hours of practice.

The 62 is the best mixer I've ever used but if you don't need the features and already own a sl2 then a 56 would be fine (and arguably better than a 57 as you get serato dj).

Funky 9 - I've got a 56 and a Scratchbox... I think Symatic and Eric have said the most important thing, you need to try them personally. If you can come to an SSS, both with be there to try. I started on a Vestax 06 and tried a 56 out as my next mixer but at the time I couldn't get on with it - the fader just seemed to lack the bite of the Vestax faders. A few years after that I got one as a second mixer and adjusted to it over time and now really like it - if you went that route I'd definitely recommend finding the original 56 in decent secondhand condition, some of the later design Rane cross faders aren't the same IMHO.

Again the Scratchbox is great, fantastic sound and if you can get on with the faders which feel bit strange at first, you'll probably love it. Although I've not had it that long, I think I do marginally prefer scratching on it to the the 56... a couple of things in my limited repertoire are a bit easier to pull of cleanly and when you hit it right it's got a nice crisp cut. Worst thing with the Scratchbox is probably that they cost so much new and rarely turn up secondhand - I got very lucky to get a secondhand one.

The other mixer you didn't mention I think you might like is the latest Vestax 05 IV - it's not up to the quality of the Rane or Rodec, but it's way better built that the older 05, 06, and 07s. It's main point of sale though would be its cross fader - it's a weapon and although different to all the old Vestax faders it's still got that bite the old ones had, just on steroids. A few people I know that have been used to old school Vestax faders really seem to like the new Vestax fader a lot, as soon as they tried too.

If you're gonna replace your fader in your existing 05, I'd probably try a Pro X Fade over the inno - there's something about those faders in Vestax mixers that's really sweet - Dubbadutch and P-Nuts on this forum would probably back me up in that too.

FreshPete - unless they are asking for nearly new price I'd jump on that secondhand Scratchbox.

If you're interested in the Scratchbox, this mixer might be worth a look, too. Not as rare and cheaper but still a very good mixer.

http://djworx.com/skratchworx/reviews/d2pro.php

It was picking one of those up for cheap that made me realise how much I wanted a Scratchbox... in fact I used to refer to my D.2 as "The Pikey Scratchbox". They have the same Infinium of course and although the Mackie can't touch the Rodec's sound quality it's still pretty good.

The main problem with the Mackie, that eventually killed the product and caused some owners to have their units reached under warranty 5 or 6 times in some cases, was that it was so badly designed. The main problem I read about before copping one was that the stupid transform switches upset all the faders so they stop working/cutting out sound - mine went after about a month. The solution is to solder the transform switches out of the equation, mine was fine after that... although when I say fine I mean the faders worked again... it blew a couple of meter LEDs though... and some of the other LEDs would stay on... until it warmed up when they'd go back out... sometimes. Also, when I say the faders "worked", they did with everyone except for d00ban and Paul - if either of them touched the cross fader it just stopped working.

Best of all, it seems I was one of the luckier owners... some people had REAL problems with theirs.

FreshPete - hope you like that Scratchbox!

Guest petesasqwax

honestly, i've had mk 1, 2 and 3 05 Pro and I don't see myself ever having anything different (unless somebody gives me one or offers me one at an insane price). When I feel like i need to step up a bit I'll buy a new fader - the mk3 still has the stock fader right now

honestly, i've had mk 1, 2 and 3 05 Pro and I don't see myself ever having anything different (unless somebody gives me one or offers me one at an insane price). When I feel like i need to step up a bit I'll buy a new fader - the mk3 still has the stock fader right now

I used to think burgers were the best beef in the the world...

Until I tried steak.

With the current prices for old Stanton SA's you might get 3 Penny & Giles faders for all your mixers for a few pounds each.

Now some subconscious manipulation from a fellow vegetarian and former 05 owner:

PCV - Pork, Chicken, Veal

P&G - Peas & Ginger

Guest petesasqwax

Manu - I didn't keep all 3, I replaced the 1 with the 2 and the 2 with the 3. Seriously man, I barely use one enough, let alone three ;)

Pioneer DJM-707 is dope for cutting and mixing. Big ass fader, which rocks, and you can adjust the tension. They sound good, too. They're just really hard to find now, but if you stay on it, you can get one for about $200-$300 US. I really miss that mixer, it's seriously slept on...

I just got said 707 off of eBay for $135, shipped. Super stoked! I haven't had a mixer in 3-4 years, and have been seriously jonsing to cut. Actually, I sold my whole system in 2010, but bought a M3d last year, and now I finally copped the missing mixer. I love cuttin' on that thing, 707's are dope.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bump

As I said I'm just getting back into this shit

I have an old 05 but I was thinking of upgrading to Rane 62

Are they good and what are the stock faders like?

Is the fx decent like the pioneer 909

Thanks

Is it good for just cutting or is it too OP

Also do I need a good laptop to go with it ? With certain sound card and shit

Will use mainly wax at first but would like to move more to a mix or wax and mp3 in future

Edited by medinah_nitro