Are you a working/gigging DJ?

Steve

If so, tell me about the sort of stuff you do.

I used to be, but I haven't played a gig in a long time, largely due to health reasons, but partly because I don't feel like I could play what I want to play anymore (locally, anyway).

Guest petesasqwax

Largely, no, but I will do an incredibly indulgent Ableton dirtbeat set when asked really nicely. I tend to do less than a fistful of gigs a year these days and usually only then if i either get paid a serious wedge or it's for a good friend. I know that makes me sound like a dick but I really don't enjoy it like I used to and I also tend to prepare a fuckload - like weeks in advance - so it takes an immense amount of work on my part for even a few hours worth of a set. I'd sooner spend that time making tracks if I'm honest. Plus not smoking any more makes me less interested in leaving the house. I don't know how that works, but it's true

I work with a friend of mine who set up an urban orchestra project through the Hull city council. We mentor a group of young adults interested in music, teaching them things ranging from african drumming to beatles covers. We also help them to come up with their own compositions as a group. Every few months we have a performance day, whenever theres a festival funded through Hull council. Gives everyone some experience on being on a stage and stuff. It's pretty fun work overall, just not regular but then that has its benefits.

I'd like to start gigging too, but -

1) I don't collect records anymore.

2) Mixing doesn't really interest me very much.

3) I'm not hugely into dance music that sticks to one bpm range.

4) I'm very lazy.. Ideally I would like to make my own music and cut over that at a gig but that involves a lot of fucking around in cubase.

Guest petesasqwax

I'm always a bit reluctant to give my position on that kind of thing as I feel like it makes me seem like I feel as though I'm doing the promoters a big favour by appearing. it's not like that at all - maybe it seems more like that to people who don't or haven't done a lot of DJing, I dunno. Last gig I did was for a friend of a friend in a venue I really like and I got offered a couple of hundred to do it. I really enjoyed myself but the amount of prep- work that went into etc. was pretty draining. it's not something i can enjoy much if I do it too regularly

Yes, been playing out around local area recently and also doing semi regular Internet radio show, along with appearing on local fm station in near future. Also hosting a couple of one off nights in April. All pretty small really but prefer it as can't dedicate the time to it any more so just prefer occasional stuff :-)

I played a bar gig last night.

Looking at my serato history I played music by

Chic

Joey Baddass

AZ

Erica Badu

Tribe

Barry White

Donna Allen

Prince

KC and The Sunshine Band

E Rule

Action Bronson

Recluse

Betty Wright

Ray Charles

Carol King

Ludicrous

Curtis Mayfield

Biggy

Toots and the Maytels

Beck

Roy Ayres

And loads more.

Finished at 12. Got paid 150 quid and loads of free booze. Got one phone number from a fairly decent looking chick but maybe not my type. Played off serato with vinyl. Quite a lot of scratching too.

First hour was quiet. Second hour was busy but pedestrian. Couldn't get anyone going. Finally caved in and dropped some hits which got them dancing. Last hour was good.

I play vinyl funk & disco & hip hop. It's kinda niche, especially since the town I live in seems to really love the more bangin' electronic djs. I'm not interested in changing what I do to get more gigs, probably because I get lots of gigs playing bass so I don't need the dj gigs. I'll take a dj gig when the client knows what I do and wants that.