Favourite artists who disappear/stop releasing music

Guest petesasqwax

Guest petesasqwax

I'm sure we all have plenty of these. Sitting in the car, cold and with rain clattering against the windows often gets me reaching for DJ Signify's awesome 'Sleep no More'. One of my favourite albums ever, it does winter bleakness in a way that is so organic and familiar, saturated in fractured yet eloquent 12-bit beauty. His follow-up 'Of Cities' is equally superb, swapping the vocal contributions of Sage & Buck65 for Aesop Rock. I loved his mixtapes, his 7"s on Bully and Grandgood, the collabs with Sixtoo and Blockhead... and then nothing. Every time I listen to his stuff it's greatness is tinged with that sad reminder that he's been absent from releasing his productions for years now. I even tried tracking him down through mutual friends and former label owners or label mates. No dice.

There are others obviously. I was gutted when Excess delivered 2 12"s of awesomeness and then barely a thing else. Who do you gents feel that way about?

I saw De La Soul years ago and they were supported my this really good Manchester rapper called Muttley (I think) who had a sort of catchphrase which was "gettin' muddy". He was ace.

This sounds a lot shitter than it really was but basically I wonder if I dreamt the whole thing because the internet seems to think he never existed.

Guest petesasqwax

AFX is an interesting one. I used to go to a load of Warp things in Sheffield and I always made me chuckle that RDJ could basically do whatever the fuck he wanted and everyone would just wear it. I heard so many wildeyed Autechre fanboys calling him a genius for doing various things that they'd have lambasted anyone else for doing, whether it was giving a random DAT to a record label courier coming to collect a remix he'd been comissioned to do or playing 3hrs of brutal gabba to a festival of folk expecting to hear selections from his latest release

-Team Sleep's only album is one of my all time favourites. Part of me has always wanted to hear more tracks (a few demos have leaked online but there's been no more official releases) but because the first album was so good I'm also happy they never did anything I disliked.

-Danny Breaks too, but he DJs every so often.

Guest petesasqwax

Actually, people who continue to release music but switch so that they are doing something totally alien to what they did before is a whole other subject entirely. No. 1 on that list for me is Sixtoo. Liked the early stuff; absolutely loved everything from 'Duration' to 'Vipers & Jackals In Envy of Man' and pretty much hated everything he's done since, whether as spkrbrsr/megasoid or prison garde. Gutting

Guest petesasqwax

yeah, Shadow is a fair call. he keeps doing bits and pieces that pique my interest but nothing to sustain it, sadly. Jefferson Airplane would've been fine if they'd stayed off that starship. Jefferson Mothership might have worked out better