Anyone know about Indian music

Blak Randy

I'm playing a DJ gig on Sat in a bar. There is a big group there on a birthday party and they have a Bollywood theme. The bar have asked if I can have a few sort of indian/bangra themed songs. Remixes. whatever.

I only need five or six songs top. They need to be well known enough for people to know and wanna dance to them but I don't wanna play any complete cheese. Anyone got any ideas at all? Maybe Bangra remixes of hip hop tracks or something like that. Anything cool done with citars or in an indian style? Any bangra that is actually cool? I was gonna look at the soundtrack of that Slumdog Millionaire movie now but that is the only thing I can remotely think of. I know nothing about this stuff.

Any help will be rewarded with the secret to the origin of the universe.

Basically, all their music is from the movies. So if it was a big budget Hollywood movie they will recognise (and probably love it, even if it sounds shit to us).

I'll try and get a list from my mate Mansi, she lives in NY now but is Indian. I went to her wedding a few weeks ago which is why I know all this crap.

For instance, this song randomly came up on my Spotify and she recognised it because it samples a famous Bollywood movie:

I got it on mp3 if you want it.

I'll report back with a list of songs later, she won't be online till later coz of the time difference.

Could try these too???? Pretty cheesy though:

http://blog.whosampled.com/2011/05/23/top-10-bollywood-samples/

All of this is good men. I’m gonna go through all of it after work and pull out what I can use.

Just to confirm, these people are not indian and not indian music experts. They are a group of people having a party with a Bollywood theme for a laugh.

Also, they are just a group within a bar which will otherwise be made up of normal people out drinking.

The manager just asked if I can play a few songs for them. But just a few.

Thanks again DV bros. Will be PMing the secrets to the origin of the Universe soon.

Looking back at the mix I did which is probably the bhangra equivalent of YMCA, however (mostly because these tracks get played at every wedding - I have been to quite a few now). Stuff like;

Daljit Mattu - Captain Bhangre Da, I like this, mostly because it sounds like someone shouting "FATHER!!!" occassionally in the background. Guaranteed floor filler in my wedding experience.

Panjabi MC - Mundian To Bach Ke, Knightrider track. I made a rather smashing mix of this into the track above.

Bally Jagpal & Ranjit Mani - Putt Sardara De, Some noticeable samples in this

Panjabi MC - Kori (Giddah) - mental track change midway to something that sounds like speed garage, people go nuts with a special dance to this

Panjabi By Nature - Aashiq (feat. Miss Pooja), lots of popular tracks with Miss Pooja in them

Tigerstyle - Nachna Onda Nei, Queen and Billie Jean bassline in this if I remember right

Balvir Boparai - De de Gerra, just tends to have people shouting 'whoop whoop' along in that annoying way from what I remember

Lehmber Hussainpuri & Jeeti - Boliyan (feat. Jeeti), another tempo drop and change track

DJ H & DJ Rags - Jawani (feat. Kaka Bhainiawala), i find myself humming along to this when it comes on

• Like 1