hip-hop producers/songs that sounded ahead of their time

Steve

I've always thought the trippy nature of Beat Bop was way ahead of its time. It doesn't try to be something you can dance to and the low-roll kick is about 25 years ahead of its time.

Plus the whole piece breaks down into something insane in the middle.

They apply random effects to the main vocal.

I think sounding ahead of your time is quite rare in hip hop.

I used to say that I could date any hip hop tune from '79 to about '93 to within 2 years just by how it sounded because the MCing and production styles changed so fast and so all-encompassingly that tracks would be timestamped with their production year just by how they sounded.

Just compare Run-D.M.C.'s first four (or even five) albums.

Beat Bop is a good pick. Definitely an inspirational record. One day I'll find an OG copy with the Jean-Michel Basquiat cover at a car boot sale for £2 - It will happen!

I think Chile has been possessed by the soul of Basquiat, based on the art he produces: -

http://i.imgur.com/xoJIo7T.jpg

• Like 1

I've always felt this beat was ahead of it's time. Somewhere there's an interview with RZA where he claims just that and that he was the first to heavily pitch up vocal sample chops in a beat... I know he's also claimed to have invented all but the wheel in some interviews, but these two claims seem believable.

Also, it's not hip hop but the short intro before the vocal drops on this was so D&B before it was invented.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...