Youtube overhauls comments/forces you to use Google+

Vekked

I can't see them reverting the changes, but hopefully it will quickly evolve into something better than it is now.

I'd like to see these changes: -

1. Allow people to view comments by newest first as a global setting.

2. Uncheck the box to post your comment to Google+ as a global setting.

3. Allow users to mark comments as spam and up/down-vote them instead of having algorithms do it.

4. Make a better notification system that doesn't bundle all of the types of notifications into one long list.

If those changes were implemented, the linking to Google+ part wouldn't bother me really. It's mainly 1, 2 and 3 that are pissing me off and 4 is a big pain in the arse for popular channel owners who get loads of notifications per day.

You simply can't have algorithms deciding "this comment is spam!" and "this comment is more worthy and should be pushed to the top!" because it just doesn't work. There is always a way to game such systems.

Yeah, definitely. When an algorithm can recognise a joke, sarcasm, irony etc. as well as a human being, then maybe an automated top comments system would work, but I would still rather know that the top comments are there because real people put them there, even if they are comments that are hateful, offensive or whatever.