Cash Money calls out DJ Fly for cheating at the DMC

Steve

I thought craze was cheating at 4.30 in '99 because he used an ahhhh sound that was a bit choppy on the record. (not really)

I need to go watch this fly ish now.

Ha ha, to be fair he did get a big cheer for that when all he was really doing was turning around

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

I thought craze was cheating at 4.30 in '99 because he used an ahhhh sound that was a bit choppy on the record. (not really)

I need to go watch this fly ish now.

Ha ha, to be fair he did get a big cheer for that when all he was really doing was turning around

werd

when i got hee haw breaks last year I realised that the bit craze used had the pre scratched aaaah, i thought that was cheeky but it looked and sounded cool when he did it, and i still cant properly emulate the thing he does with it even with my hands let alone my back!

Maybe he's not cheating, but I would liken it to seeing someone doing a crazy bit of finger drumming on pads and listening to the music coming out the speakers and being really impressed with their wild drum patterns... until you realise that for all their crazy pad bashing, they are only actually playing the cowbell in an overly flamboyant style and the rest is on their backing track.

man, that's like the perfect metaphor... pretty much the one I use to explain how I feel about certain routines. Imagine a dude finger drumming across of pads and making the beat from scratch, then imagine someone making something that sounds identical but they just chopped the composition into 16 parts, put each part on 1 pad and hit each pad from 1 to 16 when it was time to hit it.

The same thing is happening right now in DJing, and people for some reason are cool with it... gone are the days where you can just listen to a set and tell how good a DJ was, now you have to really pay attention and see how much they're doing and how much the tracks are doing for them.

I reckon Pekked should do a deadmau5 type call out and start ranting at everyone on twitter

• Like 2

I reckon Pekked should do a deadmau5 type call out and start ranting at everyone on twitter

all in time...

Vekked causing controversy on social media? Nah Doob, I can't see that catching on.

yea me neither, can't really imagine people getting so worked up they'd threaten me with violence over DJ battle trash talk...

• Like 1

I'm gonna get this cheat juggling thing to catch on, start organizing a revolution and get a gang of old school DJs to beat up DJs who cheat juggle at battles

seems like its catching on, you mad bastard...

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that Jon1st, Ruftone and you sirrrrrr, have the better routines.

Fly's repeating his patterns over and over again.

Better luck next year.

Jon1sts online routine is so sick. Just had to mention that again. Totally nuts.

• Like 1

Bottom line for me is that DMC has changed because DJing itself has changed. That's pretty obvious to all of us I'm sure.

Woody does make a good point about deconstruction vs reconstruction i.e. the art of flipping something. But when you're applying the same techniques to create a composition from an edit, well, is that such a huge departure that it's no longer valid as a showcase of skill? Surely there's an extra element that's been added... almost like a combination of battling and what people like Gunkhole were doing. Well, not quite, but you get my meaning.

On the other hand - and this is pretty crucial to be honest - all of my all-time favourite routines from DMC and other battles were done on vinyl (although a couple of them use custom records). But is that because I hadn't been watching battles for nearly 20 years back then?

That said, I think that older DJs complaining can sometimes come across as either unnecessarily purist or just stuck in their ways. And when actual competitors start complaining - publicly - about something which has been going on for a while... well, that's something else altogether.

And to echo Bubba's sentiments, props to Ruftone, Vekked (and Fly) but the best six minutes of the 2013 and the routine I will watch again over the next few years will be Jon's.

• Like 1

Age plays a part I would say, but I'm not particularly longing for DJs to come back and start juggling doubles of Peter Piper on vinyl before breaking out into some Al-Naayfish on 45 at +8 ahhhhhhhh scratching. :d

I think there is a good balance when it comes to editing and laying our your beats/tracks/samples for use with custom records or a DVS. I would say that Jon got that right, while also using new technology to do one or two things that none of the other DJs in the competition did. For me, the routines I dislike are all really heavily edited and they all sound like weaker clones of Rakik or Unkut. If they are edited to the point where some DJs are claiming that the DJ is miming, then they've gone too far! Often the people who are performing those routines scratch in a way that I don't find appealing too - even though it's technically good - which also detracts from my enjoyment.

• Like 1

I agree with broke here 100% and also with you steve. If it eventually filters in to miming the routine, because the sounds are so heavily edited, that it sounds like you're juggling, when all you're doing is a backspin with an occasional baby scratch or something, then it defeats the point.

Jon's routine is what truely "new" means...at least in my books.

Cheers,

O.

i'd say woody smashed it with his definition of deconstruction vs reconstruction. It seems like the debate about this does really come down to defining the style and then what's an acceptable / crass use of it in a battle scenario. Routines like Unkuts, fong fongs, flys and ritchies do the song construction on turntables thing really well. I see them from start to finish as kinda like a scratch track, where scratch music went after doing the "scratch band" kinda style (and before that "the return of the dj" style). So when it comes to battling, where some people are doing a more traditional battle "block party" style e.g. here's my bag of tricks, others are performing whole scratch songs. They both have their place imo. DMC is a forum that attracts both, so theres a debate about what a DMC battle routine should be. I just hope that if DMC decides it wont be a forum for scratch track performances in the battle, then theres some other outlet for this stuff (ida i guess). For me I'd just be pretty happy if i could go regulary go to gigs seeing people rock full scratch song routines for a hour or so and be in a club n hear people rock dope battle routines, but i doubt that will ever happen.

I am on this train also

I'm gonna get this cheat juggling thing to catch on, start organizing a revolution and get a gang of old school DJs to beat up DJs who cheat juggle at battles

seems like its catching on, you mad bastard...