1 click flare (and basic variations) tutorial

chile

Follow me @ www.facebook.com/dj.chile1

Little bit long, but in this tutorial I covered the 1 click flare, Half forward/Reverse one click flare, 1 click Flares with various tears, 1 click Tangent Flares and Walking Baby Flare (in the video I call them a mirror pattern involving babies and flares).

• Like 1

Great tutorial as always. I especially liked your variations - something I've been doing a bit but not enough (as my recent thread about that alternating chirp-flare shows :ph34r: ). So a few days ago I sat down and wrote down all permutations of possible rhythms in 3,4,6 and 8.

Maybe someone wants to practice with it, too: The X's can stand for clicks in Flares. Then you could do tears for the _'s (or just forwards/backwards). Or chirps for X and 1-click for _. Or accents. Or direction change in the record hand.... God, I need to practice.

Edited by mfsop

It's just a self-made version of parts of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Steps-Syncopation-Modern-Drummer/dp/0882847953/ (the third page of the Amazon preview is the second section in my pictures: all possible combinations to place 1, 2 or 3 elements in 4 places - so X_XX would mean quarter note, quarter note rest, quarter note, quarter note in the preview)

The book's very basic but it's been in use for decades because drummers have found lots of ways to interpret those rhythms to come up with infinite patterns.

So to come back to YOUR topic (sorry for hijacking this thread): X_XX could be 1 click, no click, 1 click, 1 click like this:

Or it could be interpreted as a swing flare (first click at the beginning's hard to see):

(I just posted this because you mentioned in the video that you should try to leave out clicks in different places, so I posted all possibilites)