Tape Scratching

supacuts

I have absolutely no motivation, but lots of ideas. Occasionally, I execute them - like my videos or creating a Muppet (https://www.facebook.com/ron.footswanger?ref=ts&fref=ts)

I love the inventiveness of tape-scratching but feel there is a massive trick being missed so am gonna put it out there in the hope someone else is gonna make it happen. FYI I got as far as acquiring a tape deck!

Idea: modify a tape head to run laterally on a strip of tape. Then use a push-and-hold-to-close switch to engage the recording function. One could then record vocals whilst pressing the button, let go, then cut the recording immediately. As in: record, transform back and crack on. This could be done until the tape wears.

Thoughts:

- you can blur the lines between MCing and cutting

- record samples not just live like Beardyman and JFB do, but in real time.

- unlike DVS (that's what they use) or a CDR-07 with a Tascam TTM-1 (which I have tried), there will be no latency.

Issues:

- you could have an SM58 mounted to the deck table but we all know whilst a Madonna Mic looks rubbish, it is the best way cos you'll have both hands free - if you use a pedal to trigger the recording, we're in business!

- There will be feedback/ambient noise issues to deal with. An a Capella skit would be cool, but to make it work properly, it's gonna have to be better.

- how many recordings does a tape actually do? Would it be enough to do a verse and then you'd have to wind some new tape in.

This could be a crap idea and I'm barking up the wrong tree but hopefully it will inspire perhaps another solution by people with the same mindset! I would love to hear your thoughts/criticisms.

it looks like maybe you already addressed this but I just didn't understand:

can't Serato etc do this exact thing? Say something into the mic, and then it's loaded ready to cut up immediately?

Not in the same way - it is very quick but using this method, you could spit a line, scratch the last word, then spit another, scratch that etc in real time. There'd be no processing time because it's live 'n' direct, innit? Blud. ;)