non-standard mixer knobs

I wanna buy some knobs for one of my mixer that aren't the standard ones (not fader knobs, EQ knobs and such), got a couple questions:

1) How do you know if they'll fit on the metal stem (pot? is that what they're called?), like are there standard sizes or does each company make them custom?

2) Where do you go to buy different knobs? I'm looking to experiment with different options, but not really sure where I'd go to look for them. I'm guessing a bulk electronics depot type place would be best, or a surplus store. Any places online that have multiple options?

Thanks brehs.

I believe (don't quote me) that potentiometer stems are separated simply by diameter and whether it has a cut-out.

You could wait for www.djs-face.com to come back alive or try:

https://store.djtechtools.com/products/chroma-caps-knobs-and-faders

Otherwise, it will be a case of scouring electronics stores or spraying up your own!

Edited by supacuts

Oh and maybe watch out for the depth too! In fact, the I think about it, I get why people go apeshit when a company starts selling custom knobs!

Edited by supacuts

probably the best bet is to go to an electronics shop with an old fader cap and try to find on thats the same size.

you can make you own knobs out of wood or plastic with a file and a bit of patience.

i wish i could find some decent replacement fader caps for my m-audio trigger finger, it has shitty little ones that keep falling off and arent really big enough to hold on to.

word thanks guys

amatic - yea I know there's Chroma caps but I'm not really doing it for asthetic reasons, I'm looking to try different size/shapes of knobs for functional purposes.

in that case vekked you can use ecler hak fader caps,innofader(you still have innofader right?),pro x fade and most others with a 4mm stem.

i like the ecler hak ones..similar to the 707/909 quite tall and thin..innofader is pretty much the same a s the rane(so is the pro x right enough).

i actually really like the new fader caps on the 61/62..nicer than the 56/57 ones.