2 minute scratch tutorial

ericuk

Guest broke

Edited: I meant 'tug job'.

(That's what she said etc)

The autoswing is different, it's a bit like a walking three click swing flare. Google it for the TTM.

Good call on that. well spotted. he does sound a little different though, maybe it's the hamster variation and the 2 finger stuff he does?

I want to develop this stuff further. I think this simpler stuff is a bit of me. The fact it's called a tug job is just an added bonus.

Guest broke

The fact it's called a tug job is just an added bonus.

I thought you'd be into that ;)

I've been trying to do cross rhythm mirrored stuff and it's harder than you'd think.

I wish I had the mind set to practice like that. I just fumble along trying stuff along the way. I've always thought that the way chile practices and experiments with cuts is dope, but I rarely sit down and do it myself. There must be some method to my madness but I'm not sure what that is!

The scratch at 1:40 is a tug job without the middle click of the 3 clicks. It's a square flare or square tear flare that turns from a 3 click flare (tug job) into a 1 click (square flare). Relies on good record control otherwise it doesn't work. What the fuck, it sounds fuckin nice Eric!

I remember watching your square flare youtube when you first did it and I coudn't work it out. Jump forward a few years and it's on Q Berts uni as a "square tear flare". I was trying it last night since I've started scratching again after fuckin my arm up, and I realised it's a tug job without the middle click.

The fucked up thing is, after I posted my reply earlier, I remembered that it was you who put the Square Flare vid up!

He's biting your moves Eric. Demand cash!

Edited by Ritchie T

"I used the term Square because me and my friends called clovers 'square tears' " (ericuk)

That's got to be more than a coincidence right? I didn't even get a mention. #ViolatedByQbert

p.s I googled tug job for clarification. DON'T do that if you're looking for a scratch technique.

PS PS. I wonder why the tug job isn't just called a delayed 3 clicker?

Guest broke

"I used the term Square because me and my friends called clovers 'square tears' " (ericuk)

That's got to be more than a coincidence right? I didn't even get a mention. #ViolatedByQbert

p.s I googled tug job for clarification. DON'T do that if you're looking for a scratch technique.

PS PS. I wonder why the tug job isn't just called a delayed 3 clicker?

You'd be surprised how often that hash tag shows up. And yeah, googling 'tug job' isn't a good idea.

The delayed three clicker - or the one I do - isn't the same as the tug job (it feels dirty just typing that name)

I could draw you a TTM but I'm sure you'll get it from the video:

ok so that is basically like a boomerang with an extra sound going forward and then backward.

next question then, so that my scratch vocab is correct, what would the 2 click version of the tug job be called then? where you go baby, tap, baby, tap (2 fader clicks)

Guest broke

ok so that is basically like a boomerang with an extra sound going forward and then backward.

next question then, so that my scratch vocab is correct, what would the 2 click version of the tug job be called then? where you go baby, tap, baby, tap (2 fader clicks)

Good question. I mean, when you break it down it's just a two click orbit with a different starting point and different emphasis. Whatever it's called, I'd being doing it for ages and never thought of adding another click.

And yeah, the delayed 3 click is like the boomerang with an extra click each way, because the boomerang is the old delayed 2 clicker. Makes sense.

EDIT: I just had a thought. If the two-click version of the tug-job is still unnamed, we should call it something just as un-Googleable, like the meatspin or the lemon party.

2tall showed me the, what I shall now call, the "2 click tug job". It was like opening the portal to another world. Flares that started with a closed fader. I was never the same after.

3 clicks is pretty much the norm now I guess. I am still learning them! Well, I've got the variations to learn that's for sure. I've got no problems with tug jobs. One could say I'm a natural... On a more serious note, I've got a little approach to holding/using the fader that allows for fast clicks, yet feels really easy. It is helping my shit hand on the fader. My strong hand on the fader tries to go too fast lol

I will try and post a video soon as it may help some folk.

Someone must have named it? I bet we are missing something. Fuck knows. My terminology is shit. I really once thought the crab scratch was called flanging because someone told me so.

That link is of the flaredycats. DJ enema who probably wrote that page used to live near me and was the dude who told me they were called square tears. I didn't know any better.

Just like making gravy, the plot thickens.