<---Need Good firewall !!

Clownstyle

Ok so my regged version of zonealarm became out of date today. So im looking for a replacement. I know zonealarm is pants but im also using a router with built in hardware firewall, but i like to be on the safe side and still use a software firewall as well.

What do you recommend?

If you could attatch a copy to the post that would be nice ;)

Guest Deeswift

Sygate Pro 5.5, dood! It's what I've been using for quite a while and I love it. I think Steve's using it these days too.

I'll upload it to my webspace in a sec, there's another guy who needs it on the AMD board so I'll post the link in 10 mins.

Sygate Pro 5.5, dood! It's what I've been using for quite a while and I love it. I think Steve's using it these days too.

I'll upload it to my webspace in a sec, there's another guy who needs it on the AMD board so I'll post the link in 10 mins.

Why dont you just add it to the post ??

Then you can track how many d/l`s its had and even post the link externally by copy n pasting the url of the forum upload ;)

;)

How's it going with Sygate, Clown? Did you get it up and running OK?

BTW you can update it via TOOLS > UPDATE SIGNATURE.

I thought it was a bit strange... But ive ALREADY got the latest signatures and ive only just installed the program? I take it must auto update when you install it??

Also it says there is a newer version of the program...Is it worth getting the new one or sticking with that one? Im getting sick of the little popup box everytime i restart my pc saying i need to download the latest one

Guest Deeswift

No shit? I have never seen that, but yeah, update man, as long as it doesn't de-register itself (I should think not). Maybe it does auto update the signatures. Not sure.

Just for the record, my version is build 2525. If yours isn't then yeah, update it mate.

Guest Deeswift

True. I'm not getting that popup at all... that's odd. I'll try updating anyway.

EDIT: Updated the signature and there's no sign of a newer version. Wonder if you can turn automatic updates off? Check the options.

EDIT 2: Yes, you can disable auto update for the program but leave automatic updates on for signatures.

Hmm do you think i would be ok without a firewall then seeing as i run a hardware router?

i think so. if the router has NAT. (which i guess it must)

mine does, and that masks my ip from the outside therefore making me unsusceptable to attack.

before i was using the router, i was hacked constantly. like in the time it took me to download the firewall, i got a virus.

now i have router, and no firewall running, i don't get any viri.

and it's one less thing to wait for when the pc is starting up.

Guest Deeswift

Nothing wrong with ZA, it's alright, just a bit "paranoid", that's the only way I can describe it. I like Sygate, personally, I prefer the interface and it's kinda fuss-free approach.

Version 5 of Zonealarm has caused many problems for people. I wouldn't install it after reading about some of those problems.

I liked Zonealarm Pro 4.5. I think it's essentially the same as Sygate in the way it protects your machine, in other words it asks if you want to allow a program permission to access the Internet the first time it attempts to. ZA tries to cram in too many features like ad-blocking and dealing with cookies and stuff though. I like Sygate because it's like taking the best bit of Zonealarm and making a program that does it's job, loads up quickly and uses a lot less in the way of resources. Ads and cookies should be dealt with by whichever browser you use.