Help please - someone recommend a USB audio interface

Guest broke

I got my hands on a new Macbook Pro 13", only to find out that they removed the audio in jack from the latest model. It doesn't even have the combined audio port that the old ones had. I guess they figured most people who were making music were using an external card anyway.

Looking around, the M-Audio Fast Track seems to be a cheap option, plus it comes with Pro Tools. Then I've read good things about Focusrite.

So can anyone recommend anything? The most important thing for me is speed/lack of latency. Thanks in advance.

Im currently using the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and it really suites my needs as far as djing goes. I just need to find an app or some how configure it to have input 1 as left and input 2 as right channel with out using some sort of DAW. Im sure there is some application or in the windows settings but I have not looked to much into it.

Is price not even a boundary? If so I am inclined to second the duet 2. If it is, once you go over about £120 they're all quick enough, but I wouldn't go for fast track cards, they're built like shit and have big driver problems. Or so I'm told, ahem.

if were talking "at any cost"

i've got the hots for this stuff: http://www.rme-audio.de/en_index.php

really a soundcard is all about the drivers.

rme have top class linux drivers.

even if you don't care about linux then look for a card with good linux drivers, if the vendor cares about linux then it means they arent bastards, and won't leave you out in the cold when you upgrade your os.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Since I'm not in a hurry, I think I might save up some cash and get the Duet 2. In the meantime I can record on my desktop PC.

• 2 weeks later...

In the end I decided the first Apogee Duet was the way to go. It looks to be a bit more solid. I just won an auction on eBay for 230 euro, which seems like a reasonable price.