Computer to Mixer Feedback

scottie(the)goonie

I have this problem for years and still haven't sorted it out. (I don't know why I'm saying 'sorted it out' maybe you UK'ers are influencing my language)

Anyways.

I have my computer's speaker out running to my mixer AND my mixer's record out running to my computer (line in).

I originally had used my EXT INPUT on my mixer to receive looper sound from my computer (with record out going to my computer), but when i raise my computer's volume too high I start getting scratch perverts feedback - so I've been plugging it into my LINE IN instead.

The LINE IN seems to work better but the sound seems crappier or halved, especially when I turn the volume up on my looper from the computer.

If I use session out instead of record out on my mixer, all of the feedback problems are instantly gone - but then I'm only able to record music from turntable and not the looper.....

Other than using a different 2 computers, I'm not sure how to solve this.

btw I'm using an Asus P7p55d Evo Motherboard with the on-board sound. Is this something a add-on sound card will fix?

Thanks.

Yeah you just need to mute your PC channel input. This doesn't mean (or it shouldn't) that you can't record it, but basically you don't want the sound from your mixer being sent back out of the PC (in a loop i.e. you have a feedback loop).

Motek - yea session out only let's me record audio that's controlled by "effect" button (only line or phono). Ext input audio is not recorded.

I got it figured out today!

My ASUS mobo comes with it's own program to control audio known as VIA HD Audio Deck. Under "Line In" settings there is are options for REC Volume and Speaker Output. I asked myself why would speaker output even be an option under an input setting?

Muted it, problem solved. Thanks fellas.