Feedback on freestyle scratch

kali

Hey guys,

I'm dj kali, from Portugal. My biggest accomplish in the turntablism scene is a 2nd place in IDA Portugal 2011. But i'm still really green in this whole scratch thing.

I really want improve mainly my flow but i'm open to any critics and tips you can give me.

So...! Here's the scratch video:

Hey hey guys! Sorry for the delay..

Thank you all for your answers. I agree with you when you say my flow is odd. From what i've perceived in this video is that i'm always doing the same idea with different techniques. I guess i need to think more and stop doing things automatically.

Frost: About the funk, what are your tips on doing that? My problem is that if i get to chill and cool, most of the time i loose track of the beat. I guess that's why i'm too stiff.

Chile: Thank you for the video. I will definitely try to learn those combos.

If you want to say anything more about the video, please do! I'll appreciate that.

Thank you!!

Frost: About the funk, what are your tips on doing that?

like you say, stop doing things automatically and just try and get loose and see what happens. let the funk flow and switch things up. Probably not a useful description but funk comes naturally I think. can anyone else comment on this?

I'm not gonna say this is what you have to do to get funky coz wax will have a go and say you can't learn funk... But all your cuts are very "straight" and always on beat. Try swinging your cuts a bit more

ie if you're doing stabs, rather than having them like this | | | | | | try having them like this || || ||. It applies to every cut really not just stabs.

Practice stabs to get more accurate wtih your cuts, practice tears to get better record control. In the end though, that shit just comes gradually with more practice. You can't relax until you can nail every cut fluently and you can't really be funky until you can be tight in the first place.