Short and long tip tears

Motek

Can someone describe or post a file with the timing for these. Adam introduced me to them the other week and the change it brings to my somewhat monotonous patterns is pretty stunning, but I am still not sure if I have the timing right. There is precious few vids online that I can find, only the qbert one which doesn't help that much..

It's alternating chirps and tips (short baby scratches where you just catch the very tip of the sample).

Check out 2:28 here: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls1j2JCPumA

Most of the time, DJs time them so they kinda sound like tears, hence the name.

I used to do them all the time when I cut regularly, but the only example I have to hand is from the start of this mix I'm making where I do 2 at the very beginning: -

LSTT.mp3

Actually, here's a better example: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05PSYwp3cU

At the start before the first verse.

The scratch evolved from the sort of scratching that Jazzy Jeff is doing in this track between 1:22 and 1:32: -

Not that he was the first to do that by any means, but it's a nice clean example. Long short tip tears are basically what he's doing there double-timed with shorter record movements.

• Like 1

Tip tearings just the record hand movement. You cud just baby them or chirp em , i think swing flares kinda bring out this record movement naturally.

• 2 weeks later...