"Studio" DJ mixes

d00ban

Yo,

When you're making a mix do you think it's better to stick to one vibe / genre or to bounce around? Like personally I prefer listening to mixes that are a bit varied but I've been told by people that they probably listen to a mix when they're in a certain mood, so it it starts of chilled then goes a bit crazy they don't like it and vice versa... What are your thoughts?

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

I'd just like to clarifiy this is not really for live mixes or any thing, that's obviously a different kettle of fish

i think its a personal thing really & how you want to be perceived or heard.

with my mixes, before i've started compiling the tracks i have a pretty strong idea of what i what the overall sound/feeling to be.

i always follow my theme, so apart from one mix where the only criteria was the bpm were around 140/70 I've stuck to one vibe/genre.

EDIT: but thats the type of mix i wanted to make and put my name to etc. whereas you get other djs who do a range of different stuff, who do equally as well as 'one genre' djs. it just about what you want to do really.

I think thats the main thing, do what you want, and if you do it well people will want to listen regardless. you cant please everyone.

and if you just what to be popular or get mega hitz, just mix whatever the latest trend is.

Unless you're making a mix for a particular purpose, then I think you shouldn't consider the listener at all. Make what you think is good and put it out and see what happens. The only important thing to me is making a mix I'm happy with. Obviously, it's nice if the mix goes down well with people, but I'm not bothered if it doesn't as long as I think I've done a good job.

I like listening to both kinds of mixes, depending on what mood I'm in.

EDIT - I take it you're actually making a mix then? I've been waiting to hear a new one from you for a while!

haha,

I've actually got a lot of different ideas and track lists for mixes but some of them are completely different bpms etc so it's hard to actually get them all linking up in a meaningful way. I'm just gonna go for it and get stuck in.

You're right, fuck the listener!