Virgin internet fail

djzee

anyone here have any problems with virgin's internet?

we recently got the tivo and superhub upgrade. before we had the upgrade our internet was flawless, never cut out never went slow, was really good.

since the superhub our internet has been shocking. its ment to be twice the speed it was before the upgrade but ours cuts out, goes slow, so slow u cant even watch a non hd clip on youtube..

its really getting on my tits.

its not the area either, my sister lives round the corner from me and hers if fine. WTF branson sort it out mate.

so yea.. anyone else on virgin had any similar problems?

I've had problems recently and I think Steve has too. I rang up and went round the houses with the useless tech support guy who had a big snob thing about Macs ("I know you've been told they never go wrong, but...") but nothing's changed. It's better than it was a couple of weeks ago though.

when I upgraded my speed I received a SuperHub and it was the biggest POS. Wireless went from being super reliable to randow drop outs, packet loss and speed fluctuations. YouTube especially was a real problem. Looked on the Virgin Forums and realised that it had major problems. (The MASSIVE thread entitled Super Mega Blooper Hub kind of made it obvious!)

Cut a long story short I complained to the CEO and got an older modem which supported my speed and worked with a separate wireless router.

There is certainly a hack (and I think that it may now be in the official firmware) to turn the superhub into a modem only so you can use a seperate wireless router. I recommend that you do this.

The 2 issues I had with Virgin since getting a SuperHub were both national routing issues, not issues with my setup.

The only niggle I've had with the SuperHub is that sometimes when I go to access the settings via a web browser, it just times out. If that happens, I have to reboot the SuperHub and then it'll work again. Thankfully though, it's rare that I have to access those settings. Outside of that, it's been rock solid for me - I've never had to reboot it because of dropped connections and speeds/coverage in my house are spot on.

Virgin's tech support is pretty terrible though. I've been with them since the beginning and they were fucking awful then, but over time they got better - really good at one point in fact, as they used to offer tech support via newsgroups where you could get straight through to the level 2 and above techies. They scrapped that when they opened their official forum, which is a waste of time due to it being understaffed. If you start a thread on their forum asking for help, you have to wait days for a reply from a Virgin employee and if you bump your thread they put you to the back of the queue (which they don't make clear on the site). The telephone support is incredibly hit and miss. Sometimes you will get through to someone who knows what they're doing, but most of the time you'll speak to someone that hasn't been trained properly and doesn't deviate from the script. If you need to book an engineer they're good though, as I've never had to wait more than a day or two, you can pick morning, afternoon and even evening timeslots and there's no engineer fees (nor for replacement equipment either).

I stick with them because the alternatives are worse. Aside from the occasional outage and frustrating experience on the phone, I've found the service (not the customer service :p) to be good overall. I get 60 Mbps constantly, which is what I'm paying for. I've called up once every year or so and negotiated a new retention deal. What I'm paying for 60 Mbps now is actually less than what I was paying for 600 Kbps broadband back when I first got broadband.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm getting pissed off with VM now. They cache YouTube videos and serve them up from their own servers and it's fucked at the moment - constantly buffering, even with 240p vids. There's a massive thread on their forum about it.

I wish they wouldn't keep fucking with their network. The raw speed is great for me and I can always get 55-62 Mbps (I pay for 60), but all the traffic shaping/management, port throttling and what have you is making the service shit.

It's fucking silly man. I was trying to stream a HD video yesterday and it took ages to start, then it was buffering every 30 seconds. I chose the option to download it instead (via the script I use in Opera) and it downloaded the whole 283MB video in 15 seconds or so. They're gimping their network. It's only really any good for web browsing, email and downloading from Usenet, but even with the latter they throttle Usenet ports and you have to use a specific one with SSL to get around it.

Here on the networks desk at Vulture Central our inbox runneth over with complaints from fed-up Virgin Media customers who feel that they are being roundly ignored by the telco, which is yet to fix a network peering problem with a mysterious third party.

The major buffering glitch is causing havoc with punters who are downloading data to stream video and other content. And yet, there appears to be no immediate resolution forthcoming from the company.

Despite repeatedly being quizzed by El Reg, Virgin Media declined to name and shame its peering biz partner.

Instead, a spokesman simply offered us this tepid suggestion:

"We'd just encourage anyone who thinks they are affected to add trace routes to our community forum."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/16/virgin_media_no_end_to_peering_woe/

VM are putting their prices up soon too. :|

Virgin Media is set to increase the price of some of its services towards the beginning of next year.

The telecommunications company will make modifications to the cost of standard line rental, as well as its TV, phone and broadband bundles. The changes will go live on 1 February.

The standard rate of line rental, which currently stands at £13.90 per month, will rise by £1.09 to £14.99.

Bundles will also be subject to change. The most basic package, known as the Classic Collection, consisting of 30Mbps broadband, 55 TV channels and unlimited weekend calls, will jump from £31.90 to £32.99 per month.

Similarly, the Essential Collection will increase to £40.99, the Premiere Collection will rise to £62.99 and the VIP Collection to £113.99.

According to Recombu, Virgin Media has explained, "if a customer is on a promotional offer, such as six months half price, we will honour it," meaning that the price increases will only come into play after the expiration of the promotional period.

Virgin Media will inform all customers about the price changes in due course, via post.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/11/20/virgin-media-to-increase-cost-of-services/

Fuck knows what we have because they keep changing the package deals. We signed up with Internet L, which gives us 60MB since the double speed thing, phone M, which I think is some kind of free virgin to virgin calls but nothing special, and TV M with a TiVo box and a basic channel package - I think it's basically freeview plus Sky 1 and things like Challenge. The whole thing costs £43.90 per month.

• 4 weeks later...