iPhone 5 announced

Steve

Well, you did say it's like swiping real photos. Who spreads their photos out in a row, then swipes one to the left and has them all magically move to the left? If you're looking at real photos, you hold them in a stack, move one out to the side and put it at the back.

I think you know more about user interface design than the people who work for Google though, so I have decided to agree with you.

Well the analogy is more an archiver or a roll of film so it does make sense, but what i've been getting at is that the physical action ties into what happens on the screen and isn't just an arbitrary command. Doob is right though i think we're all losers for having this conversation.

well why isn't it the only way to do things then? that's the right way to do things, why add in superfluous wrong ones that are counter-intuitive and creates a disconnect between the software and the user?!

When you view a photo it appears full screen. You can then swipe left or right to view another photo. The animation is similar to what you would see if you were holding a stack of photos and viewing them one at a time. If you pinch and zoom, you enter film strip view which allows you to see more photos and quickly zip left and right, which is the equivalent of spreading the photos out across a table. It's hardly counter-intuitive unless you're a bit of a div.

• Like 1

good design is transparent though, removing unnecessary decisions is part of that. it's not like you can choose what orientation the pedals are in or what way the gear stick faces in a car. maybe this is a school of thought, i guess i tend to think minimalistically for a lot of things and i can accept that's not the only way to approach design.

Well the beauty of the android system is that I would be able to use my preferred method and you would be able to use yours without the manufacturer making that decision for us.

And it doesn't push hideously outdated skeuomorphic design principles down your throat. Let Jonathan Ive design the GUI as well as the phone and it might not look like some relic of the past.

The gallery in Android is not an example of adding "unnecessary decisions". It's adding a simple pinch zoom option to be able to scroll through your pictures much faster. You've been living in the walled garden for far too long, Chris.

I definitely agree with you on that first point Steve - not to the extent that it looks like a relic but things like the notes system being on yellow note paper and using a faux handwriting font is gross and the way it's been ported over to OSX is a massive mistake imo.

good design is transparent though, removing unnecessary decisions is part of that. it's not like you can choose what orientation the pedals are in or what way the gear stick faces in a car. maybe this is a school of thought, i guess i tend to think minimalistically for a lot of things and i can accept that's not the only way to approach design.

There's probably two reasons for that. The pedals have a set configuration because it'd be expensive to design a system where you could swap them round and it's a tried and tested system where changing it would probably have safety impacts. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a regulation controlling it in fact.

With software, building in customisability is relatively easy and different people have different workflows. For example I love using keyboard shortcuts but if I designed a word processor with no toolbar or buttons because I don't use them and I can show that it's demonstrably quicker to use keyboard shortcuts and therefore a "better design" then other users wouldn't like it.

You don't like the idea of wireless charging?

In general I don't get why anyone would want wireless charging, it's not hard to plug a cable in is it?

What about a speaker where you just pop the phone on top and it's connected?

Just like Bluetooth?

Regarding the iPhone 5 I'm not surprised the design hasn't changed much as it really is a nice design, I do like how they haven't made it wider too, my cousins has an android (think it's the HTC One X thingie) and it's bloody huge! i don't get the need for bigger screens on a phone, it's a phone for fucks sake go by a tablet! The new connector is bullshit tho, 25 quid for an adaptor!

I've got a 4S and I like it, am I going to rush out and buy a 5? No. When my contract ends? probably not.

I agree with chris that we seems to be getting to a point where phones aren't going to change much (design wise) The new Nokias are nice and a bit different but really want else can be done?

I have an Iphone 4 and since owning one, my shitting experience is a more stimulating one for the mind.

No more staring at cracks in the walls or watching a rogue spider (if you're lucky enough to find one).

I can go onto facebook and read how many sleeps there are until christmas.

PS I am put off by apple and its controlling ways. There were less rules with my old N96. I could use it as a storage device. drag and drop mp3's and assign my own ringtones.

• Like 1

Just like Bluetooth?

NFC isn't a replacement for Bluetooth. NFC is used to trigger certain actions on the phone when it comes in close proximity to an NFC chip, so for instance, when you place your phone down on the speaker it could turn Bluetooth on, pair it with the speaker and launch your music player without you having to do anything else.

This is one area where Android has always pissed on iOS - automation of tasks. Try using Tasker on an Android phone and then you'll see how horribly limited iOS is.