iPhone 5 announced

Steve

Here's a GIF that sums up what's new: -

anigif_enhanced-buzz-14361-1347464307-19.gif

Just kidding Apple fans! Here's the specs: -

capturenpsfq.png

They went with "Android phone circa 2011" as a guide for the specs and with iOS being "Android phone circa 2010" this really is the future of the smartphone. /trolling

There's not a lot people can do with phones for the time being I don't think.

My phone has NFC which means it can do things like wireless charging and contactless payments (the next big thing IMO). It has a barometer. It has a bigger, higher resolution screen. It has a higher resolution front-facing camera. It has a microSD card slot that supports microSDXC cards so you don't have to pay £100 just to get 16GB of extra storage. It has SmartStay, so the screen won't turn off while I'm looking at it.

This is such a pitiful upgrade really. No innovation at all. It's just playing catch up, but only catching up with old Android phones. I think they said the equivalent of "well, we can't make the screen bigger when the 5S comes out, so we need to take some of this shit out. Get rid of NFC for a start, that'll do!".

The advantage Apple has is with apps, although largely with games more than apps of other types. But with Android's market share rising (68% worldwide compared to 46% a year ago) and iOS's market share shrinking, it's only a matter of time before the attitude of developers starts to shift. Apple can't rely on brand forever.

I don't know about you but I use my phone for - more or less in order - phone calls, music, email, maps, facebook, text messages, and twitter. Occasionally it's a handy pocket calculator and I use it for photo and video from time to time. The fuck do I need a barometer on the thing for? And I don't like the idea of using it as a payment device. I don't want some crackhead eyeballing the fact I've got one of those new snazzy phones that supports waving it against something that most shops don't support and thus is very expensive. you can get that on a sticker anyway.

Phones are phones, you say catchup but catching up to what?

You'll like using it as a payment device when the iPhone 5S has that functionality. ;) You don't like the idea of wireless charging? What about a speaker where you just pop the phone on top and it's connected?

The barometer increases the accuracy of the GPS, believe it or not.

Based on your needs, I can't see why you own an iPhone now though really. You pay more for the phone and/or more on contract than you would with an Android phone, so for calls and texts, you're getting shafted by the Apple tax. Being able to drag and drop music (and other files to a device), add large amounts of storage on the cheap, and choose which music app you want as the default is better for music playback. You're getting turn by turn directions for maps and deep Facebook integration in iOS6 when you could have had that for years with an Android phone.

"Phones are phones" - sure, except when you're using them to play music, send email, check out a map, post on Facebook etc.

• Like 3

Have you ever used an iPhone Steve? The entire point of a device like this is its user experience. Every Android I've tried and especially tablet wise although I know that's not specifically what we're talking about feels like a kid's designed it compared to iOS. It's not all about feature creep, it's about how good things feel to use. For instance, that Android reveal video where he's swiping something in in the photo library and for some reason rather than sliding in from where his finger had pulled from it faded in from the background - you said that this was an option but why is that an option. More choice is not ALWAYS a good thing, assuming that is just bad design. I find that speaks for a lot of Android design choices whenever I've tried to use one.

The iPhone has had turn for turn directions for ages btw.

I have used an iPhone, yes, and I don't see what the fuss is about. My phone is a piece of piss to use, it's super-fast and smooth, and I can customise it exactly how I like. You're nit-picking to fuck with that animation thing - a bit of barrel scraping me thinks.

Why do Apple list turn by turn directions as a new feature of iOS 6?

No, the animation thing is an indication of what I think a big issue with Android devices is: choice where there's a single right answer. Don't get me wrong, I quite like the look of those panes and stuff for a tablet device but I'm not bothered about it for a phone. The aesthetics of the operating system are in my opinion leagues ahead of android, but maybe that's subjective, and the touch and gesture recognition - but importantly how intuitively the UI interacts with inputs - is smoother and more fluid on iOS.

As far as directions being listed, I think they're reinventing the wheel and using their own maps system now, which is meh. They're integrating satnav and creating a 3d view by the looks of things. I dunno. The existing maps on iOS5 gives play for play directions but only top down.

there definitely is a right answer. if you swipe something with your finger you are analogising swiping a real photo on a desk or in an archiver. it's not an arbitrary gesture for 'next', it's a way of translating a physical action to the digital world.

giving no choice can be GOOD design, that's the point. what is the point in any way of making that photo animation an option? it reduces the coherence across the os, is physically unintuitive, creates yet another options screen, implies in some way that there's merit to the choices...

things like changing the background are something that should be a choice. I think the reason Apple didn't allow that for a while was because most people have the aesthetic inclinations of cat wee so they would essentially fuck up the nice design of the phone (not least with a photo from the crappy camera that was in the old iPhones), but nonetheless that's an option of choice that should be there.

If you think about it Chris, the fade in makes more sense because in the real world the next photo wouldn't be "pulled" into your field of vision from the right would it? It would appear underneath after you brushed away the top photo.

I think swiping IS a gesture for next. Isn't the browser gesture for "back" a swipe backwards?

stop trolling mike. obviously in the real world whatever is under your finger or thumb gets pulled along with your finger or thumb which is exactly what apple transcribed to their touch world. I don't know whether Apple have design patents somehow on this kind of behaviour but it seems that a lot of copycat developers have totally missed the point when it comes to touch and still see it as arbitrary which makes no sense to me.

How the fuck is that trolling? Both my points were completely salient!!

When you look(ed) at a bunch of photos they would be in a stack and you'd remove the top one, put it to the back and the next one would appear. You didn't line them up in a giant horizontal line tied together with string did you?

Regardless of how you feel you'd like to view photos on a phone, the fact remains that on (most) Android phones you can customise the interfaces to make it a) aesthetically pleasing b) convenient for the tasks you most often use.

If you have a pile of photos and you "swipe" the top one away to the left or right, the next photo does enter your field of vision from behind the current photo in the real world. It's so trivial that it's a non-issue though. BTW, to change that particular animation you need to use an alternate launcher. In Jelly Bean that is the sole animation for that particular task, although if you switch to film strip view you get all of your photos laid out side by side and you can whiz through them.