trap?!

Jimmy

i was talking to jon about this recently and i now kno what it is, but why is it suddenly everywhere and people shouting about it.

it seems to me, every tiny variation of electronica has a new genre sub name now.

i just listened to some examples of trap and it reminded me of major lazer and just general what i call electronica. styles like that have been around before.

the whole 'bass music' thing is really starting to piss me off.

#rant

seriously though, I know that it's supposed to be something like dubstep meets crunk (?) and I remember listening to a few tracks Jon posted on another thread a while ago, but if you showed me 5 different bass music tracks I wouldn't be able to tell you what's trap and what's not. care to enlighten me?

DAMN SON WHERE'D YOU FIND THIS

REAL TRAP SHIT REAL TRAP SHIT REAL TRAP SHIT

*facepalm*

Basically trap was a form of gangster deep south hip hop with loads of snare rolls and it's influence has crept into other forms of dance music for a while but only occasionally, then recently people started applying it to dubstep, originally with some really unique tunes but it's now become a really lame and generic thing where there are a few patterns/sounds used on every tune. It went from interesting to generic within the space of about 3-5 months and the interesting tracks that everyone copied lost their appeal (for me anyway), def the shortest genre lifespan in terms of interestingness I've seen in my lifetime.. Everyone who made brostep in the USA now seems to be a trap music producer basically.

If you can stomach it watch this. All the stuff in the vid is the new dubstep/trap mashed up sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoIT8cDFEwo&feature=youtu.be

Yeah this is weird. It reminds me of a lot of minimal and glitch but also a lot of the southern rap singles I used to buy for the instrumentals prior to serato. It's like a more electronic version of that south rap.

yeah, i understand the need for these labels for conversational purposes and references, but its not meant for people who are supposed to be creative to adhere to formulas with their art. like what kind of producers say "i want to make dubstep" or "i want to make breakcore?" arent they supposed to be saying, "i just want to make something. i want to make fucking music!"

^^ I think it's exactly like that other thread. Ignorant fucks thinking they invented something new. Dubstep = d&b at 33, trap = instrumental dirty south, etc ad nasum. It's retarded.

trap is just dirty south with less focus on horns and organs and a bit more timbo bounce thrown in. fucking kids and their 'new school' shit. pft.

Lol, right!

It was fun when I did a beat and one of my friend said: it looks like trap. What's trap?

He explained me and I said "so it's not a new style"...

Whatever, I called the scratch beat "a cat in a trap", and had something like 30 more followers on soundcloud sending me messages about this trap beat, they were asking if i will release other trap music.

All I can say is "j'en n'ai pas fait exprès".

I agree with you Chris.

In 2012 the term 'Trap' is just being used to describe a new strain of halfstep electronica that has been influenced by the original Trap stuff.

I remember about three or four years ago I was cutting to a slow beat on Paltalk that had the double time hats etc, and one of the American guys on there (not a DJ, just some random Paltalker) was like 'This some real trap shit'. I always thought it was another word for the drug spot.

Like any genre, there will be some good stuff and some terrible stuff.