Anybody here switch from Vestax to TTM56

Guest Mike Reezy

Guest Mike Reezy

I have an 07pro, well not for long anyways, but for thelifeof me, I cant kutt for shit on my 56, I dont know what it is, either the fader is too light or the kutt in is too sharp, I have my 07 modded to less than mm of where the gradual fade starts.

Could be that its too light, I installed a focus fader version 1,a dn that shit was insanely light, way lighter than the Rane fader, I had t take it out immediately.

So I guess my question is, should I just suck it up and use only the rane mixer so I can overcome this or what?

Altho I will havemy QFO soon enough which will be the same fader as my 07 if Im not mistaken.

My kutts dont seem as sharp or klean on the 56 as they do on the 07

anybody else ever have this problem?

The only real problem with the transition from a PMC05 with P+G xfader to the ttm56 is the channel faders being so slow (and sharp in the wrong direction) so i can't do fast chopping anymore. I love the crossfader and have always hated Vestax ALPS and PCV faders, which is why i upgraded to the P+G.

Maybe try adjusting the cut-in time a little? And if it's too light, adjust the springy thing a tad, i did too.

Edited by ripple

when i got my 56 the fader felt real strange. apparently a lot of people say goin from Vestax to the 56 can be strange. just keep at it and i swear you'll never go back to anythin else. its the nicest fader in the world once you get used to it.

Guest Mike Reezy

^^that was what I was thinking. Did you remove your tension srping? Because if you didnt you have no idea how slick this fader is........I actually could not belive the focus fader was even nuttier, but mostly because it was light as fuck, and made of $1 worth of components. You can see it in my sig plain as day......

I will have a QFO and that fader is the same, I decided to keep the RANE because I was thinking long term, like which one will serve me longer, I dont foresee the rane fucking up anytime soon, and even if it did I would just pay $10 to mail it to them and they would fix it for free, so thats kinda why I sold it.

Edited by Mike Reezy

well my story was well i was lucky to stumble upon this guy who was get tin drafted and he bought a new 07 ltd edition had to sell it like asap so i got it for 200 last year i didnt even know iw t was for skratching i didnt even know what skratching was or anything so then i did some research found out qbert used it so i learned off of tutorials that dub seven made and shit it was DOPEEEEEEEE i loved that mixer. then i came back to canada and met some battle djs and one guy had a rane and i fell in love with it, traded my 07 in to a music store for like almost 8 bills and my friend worked there so i got the ttm 56 for an okay deal, not the best but hey. yeah i love my ttm 56 although i love the feel of the fader more on mixers as mentioned : ecler 360, tascam xs and pioneer 707/909. but the ttm 56 is the shit. havent sold it yet i think its meant to be mine <3 oh how i love you baby.

Guest Mike Reezy
well my story was well i was lucky to stumble upon this guy who  was get tin drafted and he bought a new 07 ltd edition had to sell it like asap so i got it for 200 last year i didnt even know iw t was for skratching i didnt even know what skratching was or anything so then i did some research found out qbert used it so i learned off of tutorials that dub    seven made and shit it was DOPEEEEEEEE i loved that mixer. then i came back to canada and met some battle djs and one guy had a rane and i fell in love with it, traded my 07 in to a music store for like almost 8 bills and my friend worked there so i got the ttm 56 for an okay deal, not the best but hey. yeah i love my ttm 56 although i love the feel of the fader more on mixers as mentioned : ecler 360, tascam xs and pioneer 707/909. but the ttm 56 is the shit. havent sold it yet i think its meant to be mine <3 oh how i love you baby.

U have only been kutting for 1 year?

i dont know what youre talking bout!? damn when i switched over to the rane my cuts were WAY better instantly. i cant even cut on shit ass vestaxs anymore. well maybe the 07 yeah but none of the 05s or any whack ass shit. dont sell your rane, sell ur vestax and condition yourself to cut better ont he rane.

yeah i have only been cutting since mid feb of last year which waz when i bought my 07, YEAH YEAH I KNOW its hard to believe coz nobody believes me i'm not that great but i hvae an obsessive personality and im very impatient. i used to sit on the floor with my mixer doing crabs til 7 am and not sleep til i got it down for like 2 weeks straight okay maybe not that much but i didnt have a table for my turntables so io would just sit there i was like sick in the head or something my fingers woudlnt disconnect from the fader now im just a slack.

mike reezy, i've been playing the piano since age 4, guitar since i was 12 and bass since i was 16, i would constantly play everyday then i got turntables i ditched those instruments for a while now its just like trying to juggle all three i dont really play bass much anymore though. plus my mom is a musician so yeah the amount of time i've been cutting + my impatient obsessive determined personality = fast progression.

Guest Mike Reezy

no problem.

I dont know why the 56 feels and is harder for me to kutt on. Im not sure if its cuz of how light it is or how it glides, or the fader caps or what.

for example the fader caps on the rane taper, and on the vestax they barely taper, more like a wall, well I miss clicks because that wall isnt in the same place with the rane fader caps.

I have my 07 modded to sharp kutt, but I dont know what the deal is, I miss so many chirps on the 56 compared to Vestax, It like my kutts are less sharp on the 56. How is that possible?

Also, I am tone deaf and have zero musical background, so I have to force myself to learn shit, where it comes really naturally to others.

I know if I could read music, that I could play instruments, but I wouldnt call that a musician, a musician, at east to me is someone who can make music with anything improv style

EDIT: Im gonna post an audio example of my kutts on Vestax vs on RAne

Edited by Mike Reezy

cgroove, how am i crazy??????? okay maybe i am.

ummmm mike reezy, i dont know what youre talkin bout you got some problems wit the fader on your fitty six? hand it over to me i'll fix it up for ya.

but maybe its all in your head coz im the same when it comes to vestax, i hate vestax so much but everytime i touch an o7 ltd i get all sentimental but i dont know i guess im just a rane snob now. i mean yeah i do know waht youre talking about, the cut in time for the rane isnt as sharp as the vestax or something i dont fucking know i know what you mean though. coz when i used veteran's ecler it felt sharper but maybe you just gotta get used to the feel of the knobs, kay dont listen to me i dont know what im talking about no i do but i cant verbalize it coz its six in the morning and i cant sleep coz i was sick all day and slept like a bear. ill write you back later when my brain is functioning, but i still think its all in your head..

youre crazy coz ive heard your cuts and youre pretty damn good for one year. you show how time is not a barrier, its all about your dedication to the art (and obsessiveness if you want to put it that way)..

and cutting overnight till you cant move a muscle :p

Guest Mike Reezy

i think I know its all in my head, but im not sure...

I was also wondering if all you 56 users have your tension spring removed or flipped over so its not touching, because its make huge difference.

Before I removed it I was like whats the big deal? fader seems smoothe but not like hot melted greasy butter, then when I removed the spring from the fader and my air conditioner blew the fader from side to side, I was like "oh shit this is serious now"

tension spring removed TYRA?

Edited by Mike Reezy

Guest Mike Reezy
There is an edit button you know. :p

I don't really get why if you can cut well on one mixer and not on the other, you would sell the one you can cut well on??? Seems kind of backward to me.

um, because the vestax is already falling apart, the reverse on R channel broke off, the headphone got knocked out so it can fall into th mixer, and The 56 will last forever. and if it didnt it would get repaired for free so its a huge peace of mind.

Also I am pretty sure I just need to get used to it, my roomate Tyler, he already made tha transition, and he said he never wants to use Vestax again.

I know its all about the lightness of the fader, thats why UI couldnt stand the focus fader either, my pcv is slick and smooth but it has a nice weight, and it doesnt bounce off the walls. The 56 fader and focus fader bounce , focus fader way more than 56.

I think its just the rane revealing my sloppy ass fader hand, but it worked on the 07 fader so thats how I learned.....

no, tension spring not removed.... i dont know how to take apart anything. im a girl remember? lol, just use it as the way it comes, no modding and sigma, why would you sell the one you cut better on? well okay i can use a pc better than a mac by a billion times but in the long run a mac would be a heck of a lot better for me (things i want to do) im almost at the point of throwing this ibook out my window because it frustrates me too much but if youre converting for the better, DO IT! rane kicks vestax ass inside out.

Guest Mike Reezy
no, tension spring not removed.... i dont know how to take apart anything. im a girl remember? lol, just use it as the way it comes, no modding and sigma, why would you sell the one you cut better on? well okay i can use a pc better than a mac by a billion times but in the long run a mac would be a heck of a lot better for me (things i want to do) im almost at the point of throwing this ibook out my window because it frustrates me too much but if youre converting for the better, DO IT! rane kicks vestax ass inside out.

man if you remove your tension spring you may feel some of these problems I have. LOL. its like the difference between night and day.

Before the cfader kinda feels similar to the upfaders, but now its more along the lines of a focus fader.

you see the spring? its to the left of the prong in both pics. dont bend it or try to remove it but you can manuever it so its not creating tension anymore and point up like the upfaders.

read this "The torsion spring keeps just enough load on the carrier assembly to prevent it from free-traveling. Moving the tension spring above the rod is the only "adjustment" we condone. I have it listed on Rane's Frequently Asked Questions page."

This is also from ttm56 faq

"For those who wish to obtain almost zero drag on the fader, gently push the spring downwards towards the circuit board, and rotate out from under the rod, then release. The spring will be above the rod and not making contact. This setting allows the fader to move more easily. This can make controlled fading difficult, because the fader moves freely when released. You will not hurt the fader operating it this way. Small mechanical parts are easily damaged, so use care when lubricating or moving the spring."

it defnitely does make it "difficult" to say the least.

Get back at me if you use a 56 and have your spring moved out of the way, its a completely different fader when its that loose.

Do it tyra, I think you may like it, and it can always be put back to normal.

I cant belive you guys dont have the torsion spring removed.

Shit is silly slick with it off.

if you think you are better on your vestax mixer and say the rane cuts too fast why the hell would you wanna open your ttm 56 up and fuck with it if you think it isnt fast enough youve been watching too many vin diesel movies. not to mention it prolly voids your warranty and i hear if youre not extra careful you can fuck up the magnet

its kinda hard to do fast flares and chirps cuz the cut in time is so damn fast

Edited by Flare Bear