Z-Trip - DJs should bring back the danger (article)

Steve

why would i online battle doob, he lives down the road and i see him all the time! also we dj together anyway.

#Stoopid

OMG! HEAD TO HEAD! Post it!!!! Loser has to kiss the winner!

How come when I say shit everyone has a go but if Z Trip says OOOOOOOH yeah he's right pre planned button pushing shit IS shit. Screw you guys!

You = "Pushing buttons is bullshit!"

Z-Trip = "If you're going to just push buttons, put some effort in!"

How come when I say shit everyone has a go but if Z Trip says OOOOOOOH yeah he's right pre planned button pushing shit IS shit. Screw you guys!

You = "Pushing buttons is bullshit!"

Z-Trip = "If you're going to just push buttons, put some effort in!"

Aye but ye ken what I mean for fucks sake! If it's good it's good but ye canny just push buttons Steve that's like a kid playing with one of those fucking toys with the buttons that go 'Moo' and 'Quack' and shit.

If it's good it's good but ye canny just push buttons Steve

But you can. A mate of mine made a mix using an APC-40 and Ableton that was done by "just pushing buttons" and it's really good, but that's because he put tons of preparation into it. You wouldn't be able to make it with turntables if you wanted to. That's worlds apart from the guy that buys Traktor and is just blandly going through some songs using auto-sync.

For mixing in particular I want to hear mixes that are much greater than the sum of their parts. I don't care how they're made for the most part. The only issue I have with laptop DJs (that DJ solely with a laptop) and hip-hop mixing is that they have no means of scratching and a hip-hop mix with no scratching at all is incomplete IMO.

There's various levels of snobbery/elitism in this game. Someone slagged off my 79 mix because I didn't own all of the records used to make it and because it wasn't done live in one take. I obviously don't give a shit about that though or I wouldn't have made it in the first place, but what I care about is people putting effort in, no matter what gear they're using or what methods they're using to make mixes.

Most of our boogie tape was live and used only a space echo pedal and some post mix touch ups. I think there is a difference between using studio equipment for its main function which is tightening things up. Our mix was pretty simple but I thought that suited the music. Pushing buttons is OK if they are triggers for samples but what I hate is people going MMMMMMMM Music is GGGGGGGG Great and expecting us to be impressed. Its too linear in its sound and stabs can produce the same effect but with a lot more funk. MPC beats are made on buttons I'm not calling preemo a cunt......

Here's my mate's Ableton mix: -

http://soundcloud.com/the-dj-elements/bits-and-beats

It's not my cuppa tea musically at all, but it's performed live in a way that would be impossible if you were just using vinyl.

Being against "pushing buttons" full stops basically makes you a dinosaur. It's the mentality the Ruck used to push before he saw the potential of digital gear and jumped on it himself.