How the feck to set up Traktor?

Steve

My Traktor A6 has arrived, but I can't figure out how to set it up properly.

The drivers and software are installed. The box is connected to my PC via USB. I have a cable going from the main out on the front of the Traktor box to my powered speakers. I can hear music that's playing on my PC. The sound quality is good. Cool so far.

I have connected the channel 1 output on the rear of the box to the line in on my mixer, and I've connected the RCAs from my deck to the channel 1 input on the Traktor box. When I fire up Traktor, I can load a track and control it with the time code, but I hear no sound.

To get sound from the turntable, I have to remove the cable from the front of the Traktor box (the one going to my powered speakers) and connect it to an output of my mixer. I can then hear the track that's loaded into Traktor and control it with the time code, but obviously if I play a track on my PC in MediaMonkey or watch a video or whatever, I no longer get sound unless I remove the cable from the output of my mixer and plug it back into the main output on the front of the Traktor box.

I want to set it up so that sound from my PC and sound from my decks when using Traktor all goes through one cable to the input of my powered speakers. How do I do this?

Hook up Traktor as you would normal DVS, with the cables, and set your system output to one of the outputs that's hooked into a mixer channel.... or use the extra output to an aux channel on your mixer, if you have one. Kablam.

If I do that, I can only play music on my PC and hear it if my mixer is turned on.

Also, when I record in Adobe Audition, it's recording the time code signal, even though I'm hearing the music.

Problem solved!

I have the mixer/deck set up with 2 x RCA cables to channel A on the Traktor box as normal. I have the output of my mixer going to the main in on the front of the Traktor box. I have the main out on the front of the Traktor box going to the powered speakers. I then had to change some of the input/output routing settings in the Traktor software, but I can now play back music on my PC without the mixer being on, I can hear what's being played in the Traktor software, and Audition is recording just what's being played through the mixer and not the time code signal, nor the music playing on the PC.

Thank fuck for that! If I had any hair left, I'd have been close to pulling it out. :d

I have a similar setup but I use 2 mixers. Not sure if this is an option for you. The only way I can listen to both PC and Traktor is to do this. I run from PC to secondary mixer Line 2 and from primary mixer master out to secondary mixer Line 1. Then I run from secondary mixer main to monitors and secondary mixer record to PC.

If you are hearing the timecode, then you are recording pre-traktor.

Not sure how the A6 output is set up by with my A4 I set up Traktor with my outputs as: Mixing Mode-external, Output deck a - L out:ch a left, R: - ch a right, output deck b - L out: ch b left, R: ch b right. Seems you should have the option to set up the front output in the same manner. The A6 is setup to run from aux out to PC to allow for internal recording in Traktor. I may be wrong on that but I believe that to be the case.

I saw that. Glad you figured it out. I had a shit of a time trying to record with my A4 when I first got it. I am still screwed as I have to remember to turn down my line fader and up my recoding level when recording or I get a hell of noise.

My Traktor A6 has arrived, but I can't figure out how to set it up properly.

The drivers and software are installed. The box is connected to my PC via USB. I have a cable going from the main out on the front of the Traktor box to my powered speakers. I can hear music that's playing on my PC. The sound quality is good. Cool so far.

I have connected the channel 1 output on the rear of the box to the line in on my mixer, and I've connected the RCAs from my deck to the channel 1 input on the Traktor box. When I fire up Traktor, I can load a track and control it with the time code, but I hear no sound.

To get sound from the turntable, I have to remove the cable from the front of the Traktor box (the one going to my powered speakers) and connect it to an output of my mixer. I can then hear the track that's loaded into Traktor and control it with the time code, but obviously if I play a track on my PC in MediaMonkey or watch a video or whatever, I no longer get sound unless I remove the cable from the output of my mixer and plug it back into the main output on the front of the Traktor box.

I want to set it up so that sound from my PC and sound from my decks when using Traktor all goes through one cable to the input of my powered speakers. How do I do this?

someone sounds like a n00ban #justsayin'

Yeah man, the latency is fine.

The only issue I'm having now is that Traktor doesn't remember my settings.

I have to have the output settings like this for it to work: -

work.jpg

But when I quit Traktor and start it up again, the settings have changed to this on their own: -

notwork.jpg

Any idea why that would be?

Is your settings file in a write protected folder or something? Perhaps if you set Traktor to start with administrator privileges explicitly...

Another thing you could try is exporting your audio device settings via the button at the bottom to see if it'll jog it into 'remembering', especially if you used the setup wizard to start with. I know Traktor can forget audio settings when you pull and replug your interface, but if you're not, it could be a case of the settings file not updating properly.

Cheers, Chris. Unfortunately those suggestions didn't work, but here's the fix in case anyone else has this issue: -

Go to Preferences - Audio Setup and then in the Audio Device drop-down list, choose a different option to the one you're currently using, then immediately change the setting back. Exit the software and re-start it and you're good to go. Settings saved.

One last thing.... In the control panel are these settings: -

Clipboard01.jpg

The USB buffer is as low as it can go, but the process buffer can go down to 32 samples, which lowers latency to 5.1 ms. Are there any potential downsides to setting it to 32? Distortion or skipping or anything like that? I know I could just test it, but I want to know what I could expect.