A USB capture device for ripping video tapes?

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I've just bought one of these: -

http://i.imgur.com/IS2EfXE.jpg

I have loads of video tapes full of music/DJing stuff recorded off the TV during the 80s and 90s, so I'll use it to rip all of those. It doesn't bypass Macrovision, but I only have a few old DMC vids that are protected by that anyway and I'm not really bothered about those.

• Like 1

The video/DVD recorder arrived today. It doesn't work properly. The remote control doesn't work. The power on/off switch on the unit itself doesn't work. It comes on automatically when you plug the power lead in, but it can't be controlled with the remote and there's no way to turn it off aside from pulling the power lead out. Also, it was listed as new, but it's clearly not new. It has tape around it with "Waitrose" written on it, it has a label on the box with the original purchaser's name on it, and the box had already been opened and the item had clearly been used.

I've opened an eBay dispute and the seller got back to me apologising and saying they would sort it out later today. I'm covered by eBay's policies anyway, but hopefully the seller isn't a tit about it and sorts it out.

Ugh that sux. I bought one of those Sony direct DVD recorders about a year ago (probably because of this thread) but still have yet to even unbox the thing. I got it on ebay for less than $100 which is a pretty good deal. ...assuming it works... otherwise I'm fucked.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVDirect-DVD-Recorder-VRDMC5/dp/B000SML2BQ

Guest Symatic

man what a ball ache. still, if you have some sort of digi video camera you can probably run stuff to that? svideo or composite out of vhs into whatever input your camera takes?

are you set on that one Steve? I did a bunch of research on VHS conversion and almost everything pointed away from VHS + DVD combo's, and said getting a separate DVD recorder and just about any old VHS player will yield best results. The one that always came up for me as being the one to get is the Magnavox MDR 515. Look into it anyways, most of the combo units apparently give way more hassle than they're worth.

The eBay seller got back to me. He said that he had 2 of these players, but the wrong one was sent to me by mistake. He's going to send me the other one, wait to see if I'm 100% happy with it, then he'll pay to collect the faulty one. If I'm not happy with the new one he's sending, he'll pay to have both collected and he'll give me a full refund. Can't say fairer than that.

i thought about getting one of those shitty cheap video capture adaptors that go between the vhs player and my computer but never got round to it.

Would love to hear the final result of the combo guy, but i dont think i'd spend that much...

This eBay seller is doing my nut in.

He got back to me on Wednesday last week and said I'd get the replacement on Friday. On Friday he contacted me at about 11 in the morning and said he'd tested the replacement and he was just about to send it out, so it would be with me either on Saturday or Monday. I still don't have it though.

Ahhhh, fuck this eBay seller!

The replacement recorder turned up today. I took it out of the box and he'd obviously wiped the recorder down with something before shipping it, because it was all sticky and wet - no jokes please, lol - it was like Windolene or something. I wiped it over with some paper towels and it's OK.

I plugged it in and it seemed to work fine. I tried playing back a DVD and the remote worked this time. But, I went up into the loft and got my bag of VHS tapes down, and the VHS part of this player is fucked. It literally makes a screaming noise when a tape is playing, or when you're rewinding or ejecting the tape. There is no way I would sell this to someone else.