World War II - After the War (45 photos)

Steve

This is an aerial view of the city of London around St. Paul's Cathedral showing bomb-damaged areas in April of 1945: -

s_w17_06150111.jpg

A test nuclear explosion codenamed "Baker", part of Operation Crossroads, at Bikini Atoll in the Marshall Islands, on July 25, 1946. The 40 kiloton atomic bomb was detonated by the U.S. at a depth of 27 meters below the ocean surface, 3.5 miles from the atoll. The purpose of the tests was to study the effects of nuclear explosions on ships. 73 ships were gathered to the spot -- both obsolete American and captured ships, including the Japanese battleship "Nagato": -

s_w31_ini_expl.jpg

The rest are HERE.

• Like 1

Guest Symatic

"When the war began in the late 1930s, the world's population was approximately 2 billion. In less than a decade, the war between the Axis the Allied powers had resulted in 80 million deaths -- killing off about 4 percent of the whole world."

fuck

Amazing find. This is why I love both photography and history. My absolute favourite war photographer is Robert Capa. Check him out. He was the only photographer there for the first wave of D-Day landings. My favourite photo of his, and maybe of all time is this:

It formed a large part of my French dissertation. Long story.

Another fascinating set of stats which I can't find in bar chart form is the number of casualties per country for WW1 and WW2. Russia/Soviet Union is so far in front it's unreal.

^^I'd like to see that chart

"When the war began in the late 1930s, the world's population was approximately 2 billion. In less than a decade, the war between the Axis the Allied powers had resulted in 80 million deaths -- killing off about 4 percent of the whole world."

fuck

I read that the Jewish population still hasn't recovered to pre-WW2 levels.

• 3 weeks later...

^^I didn't know that was a Robert Capa photo... he was killed by a landmine in Indochina later in the 50s wasn't he? .. His blurry Omaha beach photos are amazing too. This photo was taken later in the Normandy campaign though, somewhere near the Cherbourg peninsula I think, the P.O.W. is an officer of 17th SS PanzerGrenadiers. God knows how I remember this kind of shit.. probably from reading so many books as a kid in the pre-internet (stone age) era haha.. what was your dissertation on, doppel?

^^I didn't know that was a Robert Capa photo... he was killed by a landmine in Indochina later in the 50s wasn't he? .. His blurry Omaha beach photos are amazing too. This photo was taken later in the Normandy campaign though, somewhere near the Cherbourg peninsula I think, the P.O.W. is an officer of 17th SS PanzerGrenadiers. God knows how I remember this kind of shit.. probably from reading so many books as a kid in the pre-internet (stone age) era haha.. what was your dissertation on, doppel?

Yeah he was killed by a landmine in Indochina.

My dissertation was on Masculinity in the work of Robert Capa. It was for a French module so god knows how I managed to tie that in. All in French bitches. I centred around a few photos, one of which was the one above, another of which is this set: