Scratch/Tablism shows/nights/events

Jimmy

Quite simply; are there any still?

I mean obvs there is the CSG and in the last year or so i've been lucky enough to see Q twice and The Rockhard Bastards, but I was thinking is there anything more regular.

Like with most genres there are specific nights, even if its every 2 months like Shogun Audio (a dnb label) down at Cable (a club near London Bridge) and there is all the other smaller, local nights for nearly every kind of genre dotted around all over.

I think what got me thinking was someone on the dnb forum talking about how he wants to dj abit more and maybe work his way up to playing a local night. But I guess with scratching you dont have that. From what I can tell, if you want to do a show/event or whatever you really need to set it up yourself.

Am I right in thinking Low End Theory is a kind of tablism/scratch night?

I think i'm probly rambling here, but thought it was posting for food for thought. Maybe this is what SSS would one day turn into, i dont kno.

Low End Theory is a club night. It's only D that scratches. The ISP reunion was just an exception.

There is no scratch night in London. Someone has to start it up. I think a scratch night would only work if it were 80% normal mix and 20% scratching. You need to guarantee that a certain number of people would turn up, and I doubt if you promoted it as a scratch night, you would get that many. I would also pick a venue that allows alternative stuff.

I think things like CSG are perfect for things like this but yes, besides CSG i don't know of any regular public scratch events. Perhaps a open deck freestlye event where people take turns in the CSG-style pub setting would be a nice thing for someone to setup. Scratch events are definetly more of a bar rather than a club style event. You'd have to do it in a bigger city where there's more chance of attracting scratchers and make it semi regular at first (maybe quartely?) due to the size of the scratch community these days.

Otherwise you have to combine it with a style of music where there is a scene. I've found most scenes are open to it if it's done well. Captain Crunch, for example, seems to be doing really well at the moment within in the jump up dubstep scene cutting up that style of music.

Yeah Crunch is killing it.

Weirdly, I was just about to bring him up. He used to run a night called "scratch club". It was kind of an open mic kind of thing, like you could have a cut over instrumentals and people would rap and shit apparently. I'm sure you were there when he was thinking about starting it up again Kim... on trice's birthday it was.

I have an idea - maybe do an open jam night with a instrumental band, like at the Hootananny pub where you can just go up and grab an instrument, and have a turntable and mixer set up too, so people can come up and scratch with the band.

• Like 1

Yeah Crunch is killing it.

Weirdly, I was just about to bring him up. He used to run a night called "scratch club". It was kind of an open mic kind of thing, like you could have a cut over instrumentals and people would rap and shit apparently. I'm sure you were there when he was thinking about starting it up again Kim... on trice's birthday it was.

yeh now you mention it, that does ring a bell. I/we should get in touch. he invited me round for a session when i saw him at Q & Reeps, i need to follow that up.

thats a pretty dope idea yoshi, might have to start talking to a few bars soon or something.

• Like 1

funny you mention random instruments... when i first moved back to london, me and crunch used to go to a weekly jam at the macbeth.. it was free and you just turn up with ya instrument and jam along... was pretty banging.. wasn't really for the watching though

Edited by MajDuckworth

Low End Theory is a club night. It's only D that scratches. The ISP reunion was just an exception.

There is no scratch night in London. Someone has to start it up. I think a scratch night would only work if it were 80% normal mix and 20% scratching. You need to guarantee that a certain number of people would turn up, and I doubt if you promoted it as a scratch night, you would get that many. I would also pick a venue that allows alternative stuff.

Gaslamp scratches too but I certainly would agree it's not a turntablism night... More of a beat-head night that got hijacked by dubstep.