Serato buffer setting...

Jimmy

alright squares!

i was just wondering what buffer setting you lot have on your serato.

when im mixing, its doesnt matter what i have it on, it all works fine.

but when i try to cut, its seems abit shit. is that just serato generally? im not talking flares and 'big' cuts, im talking more the subtle finger accents/'shudders' i throw in alot.

at the moment im more leaning that its just my technique that needs to change a little, but thought i'd ask.

thankyou!

You mean the USB buffer?

I have it on the highest I can, which I think is one from highest.

Same with the calibration, it leads to rumbling in loud settings but I'd rather have it responsive and it only rumbles when the decks stops (which is pretty much never when you're mixing).

Scratching ain't gonna be the same on serato, get used to it, especially for drags etc.

Ideally you should have that setting as low as you can get it without experiencing audio dropouts. I have it as low as it can go.

Also, make sure that "Hi-Fi resampler" is enabled under the Playback settings.

USB buffer size: -

Scratch Live processes audio in small chunks. When smaller chunks are used, the movement of the record is translated into audio more often which results in a lower overall system latency. However, this requires more processing and therefore a higher CPU load, so lower buffer size settings require a more powerful computer to produce uninterrupted audio. If you want tighter control, you should try decreasing this setting, on the other hand, if you experience audio dropouts, you need to increase this setting (or use a more powerful computer).

Hi-Fi resampler: -

The 'hi-fi resampler' mode uses an advanced modeling algorithm to produce a level of clarity not heard before in vinyl emulation technology. The new option has a cleaner, crisper sound that effects all audio playback at non-zero pitch, but really comes into its own when scratching. This mode improves the quality of the output sound regardless if you're using turntables or CD decks.

Hi-fi resampler mode significantly reduces digital distortion at very slow or very fast record speeds. This enhancement increases the CPU load slightly. The option is off by default, in which case the old resampler is used. If you have a low spec machine and experience performance issues with the hi-fi resampler on, try switching it off again.

ah wicked, thanks for that steve. i dont get any audio drop outs at all, so i'll put the buffer back to 5.

i didnt kno about the hifi resampler thing tho, so i'll look at that tonight.

theres a few new things in sl2 (compared to sl1) i wasnt aware of, like the 'thru' button jon told me about. i thought u couldnt switch to analog anymore as they cut half the outputs...i feel like a n00b.

and thanks doob, i think my calibration is ok, the circles are looking smooth anyway, but ill have a closer look.

No probs.

A lot of people don't set it up right, cos they jump in without reading the manual. You don't need to do much when setting it up. All I do is this: -

1. Go into Setup, play a control vinyl on each deck and hit the Estimate button for each deck, then adjust the L/R and P/A knobs to get the oscilloscope readouts as round as possible: -

Clipboard02.jpg

2. Set the USB buffer size to as low as it will go, as long as the computer is powerful enough. If it's not, you'll possibly hear audio dropouts and see a little red light appearing on the main SSL screen to denote that you're getting USB dropouts.

3. Enable Hi-Fi resampler mode.

Any other settings are optional, but you need to do the above.