MPC Renaissance: Akai's answer to the Maschine?

Jon

This looks cool but seems like exteme overkill.

It looks more expensive than the most expensive current MPC, making it - what - 3 times the cost of a Maschine? but then you have the "advantage" of making it sound like older MPCs. Hmmmmmm.

i have a feeling this can do an awful lot more tho.

just look at the connections on the back, compared to maschine's 1 usb

i dont kno why i hate on maschine so much, probly cos it gets bummed. i just prefer mpcs to everything else

so close yet so far. It has the same drawback as the maschine i.e. you have to use it with a computer at all times.

rather than adding stuff to an MPD to be more like a maschine, they should have tried to make the MPC more like the maschine - but without taking away from it i.e. A stand alone MPC that can be hooked up in realtime for easy tracking out and extra fx processing - How hard would that be?

It still looks interesting though.

• Like 1

About damn time they did some updates. Looks very sick but I still see lacking my biggest complaint--no phrase looper (pedal operated preferably) and no non-stop workflow (like Ableton).

It's the best looking MPC they've made in some time though... although I think the MPC brand is now so diluted that it's hard to know what to expect from these new announcements. Fingers crossed the reason they've let Maschine run rampant for almost three years is because they were working on this until it was perfect (although Akai don't really do perfect, but they do what they do do well well - that's a real sentence btw not a typo)

NI will put the squeeze on with audio interface bundles with Maschine for sure, whatever price Akai come up with. They want them dead, and at the moment they're on their knees. Akai will know this, but I doubt it'll make them think too differently about their pricing strategy which I bet will be something like the slimline MPC Studio will be priced slightly more than the full version of Maschine plus small audio interface (whether the MPC Studio has built in interface or not), so about £650, and the Renaissance will be priced to skim, at something like £1200 whilst letting retailers drop to a grand with rebate or something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

First impression is the hardward looks good and the software looks ok, however going by Akai's operating system for the MPC2500 I think akai probably aren't the best software developers where as that's what the NI guys do best. I think Maschine will continue to grow and evolve alot more than this and I'm guessing NI are still way ahead of the game (can't this MPC one load vsts?). I think it'll probably do well and be a good bit of kit (once the bugs are somewhat ironed out) but somehow I suspect Akai won't keep up with NI when it comes to the software.

• 2 weeks later...