Classical music - where you at?

doppelkorn

I was reading this on the BBC:

Classical composer Amadeus Mozart is at the heart of an idea which blossomed in the 1990s.

Mozart's music was credited with special powers

People started to believe that playing the music of Mozart to young children would enhance their brain development and make them more intelligent.

And unlike the other myths this one had a notion of truth about it.

The neuro-nonsensical notion became known as the Mozart effect. And the IQ claims started with a science paper in the journal Nature in 1993.

The research described an experiment in which Californian university students did a series of spatial reasoning tasks.

The students who heard a Mozart piano piece before the testing began did a bit better than those who listened to relaxation tape music or silence.

But the sonata-charged enhancement disappeared after about 15 minutes.

Within a couple of years, the media had snowballed this interesting observation into the concept that playing Mozart to young children made them brainier.

Companies marketed and sold CDs of the musical genius' works for this purpose. In the USA in 1998, the state of Georgia issued mothers of newborn babies with their own Mozart discs.

Some people theorised that the musical structures of Mozart's compositions had a special biological influence on the brain's wiring.

In subsequent studies, the truth turned out to be more mundane.

It emerged that any piece of stimulating music just before a series of brain teasers makes you more alert and enthusiastic so you perform a little better.

When I was at primary school we had assembly every day and as we filed into and out of the hall they played one of about 10 pieces of classical music. The headmaster would then quiz us as to what it was and we obviously got pretty good at recognising the stuff. The only ones I can remember now was that Hall of The Mountain King, The Return of the Queen of Sheba and Handel's Water Music.

I wish I knew my shiz more about classical and baroque and such. My old boss was quite a cultured and intelligent bloke and used to dismiss most popular music and said that once you understood Bach then all popular music was basically obsolete and pointless rubbish.

I was reading this on the BBC:

Classical composer Amadeus Mozart is at the heart of an idea which blossomed in the 1990s.

Mozart's music was credited with special powers

People started to believe that playing the music of Mozart to young children would enhance their brain development and make them more intelligent.

And unlike the other myths this one had a notion of truth about it.

The neuro-nonsensical notion became known as the Mozart effect. And the IQ claims started with a science paper in the journal Nature in 1993.

The research described an experiment in which Californian university students did a series of spatial reasoning tasks.

The students who heard a Mozart piano piece before the testing began did a bit better than those who listened to relaxation tape music or silence.

But the sonata-charged enhancement disappeared after about 15 minutes.

Within a couple of years, the media had snowballed this interesting observation into the concept that playing Mozart to young children made them brainier.

Companies marketed and sold CDs of the musical genius' works for this purpose. In the USA in 1998, the state of Georgia issued mothers of newborn babies with their own Mozart discs.

Some people theorised that the musical structures of Mozart's compositions had a special biological influence on the brain's wiring.

In subsequent studies, the truth turned out to be more mundane.

It emerged that any piece of stimulating music just before a series of brain teasers makes you more alert and enthusiastic so you perform a little better.

I wish I knew my shiz more about classical and baroque and such. My old boss was quite a cultured and intelligent bloke and used to dismiss most popular music and said that once you understood Bach then all popular music was basically obsolete and pointless rubbish.

I can't really get with that, it doesn't even have lyrics... Lyrics can be a pretty important part of the "pointless rubbish" we listen to.

Thats a big claim in the states for sure. I like classical a lot but know nothing about it. Just flip on the classical radio station most mornings. The kids seem to like it too.

I'm a fan of a few modern classical acts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqQ30tEIdHQ

I sample it quite a lot too.

I also like a few acts that combine classical elements with other modern genres. The Cinematic Orchestra would be a great, but probably quite an obvious, example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjjc59FgUpg

I've seen them live a few times, love them to bits.

@Jimmy- from what I can tell a lot of Alix Perez and Spectrasoul's more liquid songs sample classical music :)

i have rachmaninoff on my media player that its. his stuff seems more accessible to me than other classical works; i think its about the piano and the way he plays it, but i dont know.

this is probably way off topic, but another instrumental work i listen to all the time when im in a similar mood to listen to rach is alain goraguer's score to fantastic planet. that fucking score is a masterpiece.

i had to study classical music for my Leaving Cert (Irish A levels..)

fabourite piece was Mussorgsky's pictures at an exhibition, orchestrated by ravel, as it was originally a piano piece..

low and behold i discovered Emerson Lake & Palmer covered the whole thing too. whoop

there's obvioulsy a lot of influence in prog..

and yeah wax great soundtracks..