Shipping vinyl from US to Eurpoe.....

dissonance

There's a fella that wants to buy that Poly record from me. you know...the wicked cool one with the glasses?

shipping seems retardedly expensive... I looked around on the USPS site, put in some figures for the weight...I figured around 13oz... it totaled something close to 75.00 US.

WTF???

The guy I'm corresponding with guesstimated between 10 & 15. Should I abandon USPS and try FedEx, DHL....um....dunno?

Second question.... I don't have paypal anymore.... what are some options to get that loot from there to here? He suggested a bank transfer, but that shit sounds fishy to me. He wanted my account number....nope. Can dude write a check? He says he's from Switzerland.

I've never done any business across the Atlantic, so I'm horribly and embarrassingly ignorant of all of this.....

thanks in advance for the help!

USPS is just about always the cheapest. I'd try media mail first. I don't know if you can do international (website wasn't clear) but a record should qualify and it costs under $3 a pound. Second try would be to use a flatrate international envelope for around $9. I would cut the envelope and basically tape it to a record shipping box and sweet talk the postal worker into accepting it.

USPS seem to charge around $9-$11 based on some of the records I've bought from the US recently. I dunno why it's coming up at $75 for you. Maybe you're choosing the wrong shipping type?

If you don't have PayPal and you're not happy with using a direct bank transfer, try AlertPay. I've used it once or twice, but I'm not sure what the fees are like cos I've only used it to pay for things, not to receive payments.

The last time I used checks was in the last millenium. Checks are not used that often in Switzerland. But if the guy got a bank account, he could also demand a check wallet for his bank account. At least that's what I did back then, when I was mail-ordering stuff pre telebanking.

The last time I used checks was in the last millenium. Checks are not used that often in Switzerland. But if the guy got a bank account, he could also demand a check wallet for his bank account. At least that's what I did back then, when I was mail-ordering stuff pre telebanking.

Just a heads up from somebody that's been defrauded with a fake cashiers check--the bank told me wire transfer is the only way to 100% be not screwed over. With a cashier's check you would have to take it to the issuing bank to find out if it's fake (unlikely to happen) and otherwise it could sit in your account for a week before discovered and pulled. You deposited it so you're considered the one committing fraud.

Why not bitcoins? That seems up your alley.

If it's a wire transfer then yes, from anyone because the money leaves their account instantly. But I'd even trust even a personal check from discogs TBH... I guess depending on how much money it is. You could always wait for it to clear (wait a full week).

Bank transfer is fine mate. You can do fuck all in europe with account number and sort code anymore except for deposit money in. Media mail does work but it takes a fucking long time to get here. Discogs is usually a good place to do business and there code of practice is crystal clear in case of any dispute. No WAY USPS should be $75 even with a tracking number that takes the piss!

Fuck the usps site, best to go in a usps and/ or ups center place and ask them what method and boxing is the cheapest and get you an actual shipping total. I've done the website myself and it's the worse

• Like 1

okay...so, I'm almost ready to go. We did a Western Union money transfer. My Credit Union advised against a direct wire transfer.

another question: This Customs declaration form I have to fill out.... how should I go about labeling this? Am I going to get taxed on sending this? Should I be 100% honest about the value of the record?

again, like I said....I'm new to this and woefully ignorant.

The buyer pays the import tax if there is any. Whether there is any depends on the country you're sending the goods to. In the UK, you do have to pay import duty and VAT on second hand goods, but only if the value is over 40 quid. Writing that it's a gift on the package makes no difference to whether you get charged or not, even though it's a common misconception that it exempts the buyer from having to pay tax.

I think it's best to write the actual value on the form. If you write a lower value, if there's any import tax then it'll also be lower (good for the buyer), but if the item gets lost/damaged in the post then you'd only be able to claim back the amount you wrote on the form (if you can claim anything at all - it will depend on the method you use to send the package), which would be bad for you if you had to issue the buyer a refund.

Personally I would rather protect my own interests than the buyer's, because the buyer should be aware that they're responsible for any import tax.

• Like 1

Top priority as a seller is to protect yourself. Media mail will not allow shipping insurance/tracking. Express International will. You need that to back you up in case someone tries to get funny style on you and claim they didn't receive shit. You can submit the tracking # to Paypal if they try to file a claim and then they can kiss your ass.