after a laptop..

chile

So I've never bought one before as PCs tend to be more powerful for the price but I don't want to have to lug my current PC to Scarborough again next month for uni.. Last time i bought it back from Scarborough the CPU fan came off and one of the mount springs bust.. Managed to fix it but its now super glued to the mobo so quite fragile really.

the last two comps i bought parts seperately and put together.. i guess thats not really possible with a laptop though.. so what are good places to be looking for buying a laptop? im thinking windows 7, 8 gb ram somewhere in the region of 2-3 ghz cpu and budget £650 tops

That's some beefy specs you're looking at! I think you'll be pushing it with your budget.

I like Lenovo laptops as the build quality is decent and they're reasonably priced. Here's one for 500 quid: -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TQIJ7M/

It's not exactly up to the spec you want, but it's still pretty beefy with a decent Core i5 and 6GB of RAM. The 3 1 star reviews are from people who were sent the wrong model, so it gets very good reviews outside of those.

That's just an idea though. If you check on HotUKDeals and do a search for laptops, good deals are always popping up and some of the retailers allow you to configure the specs and add more RAM or whatever.

• Like 1

ace cheers that laptop looks decent. i'll have a check on ukdeals that sounds mint. to be fair i prolly dont need 8 gb ram.. im just after something to handle some basic video editting. and of course audio for cubase.. i regularly go over me 2gb ram limit in my projects on this comp which really slows everything down a lot. 4 gigs would prolly do the job

it arrived today! quite nice really. just gettin stuff installed on it now. think i'll have to buy a usb hub as it only has 3 usb connections. also it didnt come with a windows cd? just came with windows 7 installed.. this mean that when i format i cant reinstall windows 7?

very nicely built anyway and running faster then me PC at the moment even tho its a fair bit beefier

Unfortunately it's pretty standard for machines sold with Windows on them not to come with a full Windows install disc. You should have the license number though, so you can just copy/borrow a friend's Windows disc and use that to reinstall it.

You usually get a restore disc though? Did you not get one of those? If not, you could try contacting Lenovo or Amazon to see if they'll send you one, cos there should always be a way to get the laptop back to its default state, even if you don't get a full Windows install disc with it.

My Lenovo is a few years old but it never came with a restore CD, rather you hold the "Lenovo" button down when you switch it on and it boots into restore mode allowing you to restore/reinstall windows from a hidden partition on the hard drive. This one might be the same ;)

• 9 months later...

had this laptop a almost a year now and the left hinge is propper fucked. i couldnt send it back for repairal because of uni work so i had to superglue the case around thet hinge which was opening up. it fixed it for a while but wasnt a permanent solution and now its worse than its ever been.. the area around the effected hinge has cracks in the plastic so the body itself is now damaged. looking on google its not an uncommon occurance so yeah watch out with these laptops. it can actually effect the performance, making playback of audio and video stuttered when its really bad. also if you move the laptop around while connected to the net sometimes the wifi turns off and wont turn back on until its restarted.

• 7 months later...

So the body cracking around the hinge area got so bad that I ended up super glueing the cracks while also attaching one of these to apply pressure to keep the hinges functioning -

this worked for a while then the other day i dropped the laptop on the carpet and it landed on the corner where the thing above was placed. the fall put a lot of pressure on that corner of the body that was already cracked.. ended up fucking up the screen, and took the corner body of the laptop off.

i got a replacement screen in the post today and i used the screen box as a ghetto fix..

the hinges on these things are gash.. me mate got a lenovo a few months ago and they seem to have fixed the hinges in new models though.