[Tutorial] How to Spice (or Roll) It Up!

Yoshi

Most people probably know how to do this skratch already, but I haven't yet come across a good explanation of it. This is puzzling, because it's very simple, I think.

Just read some of the proposed definitions:

(1) "Crabs over moving baby scratches." (Skratchlopedia) -- no mention of the scribble-bit at the beginning of the skratch.

From the comments on a video on YouTube:

(2) "It's not a scribble into a crab, its a "scribble" WHILE crabbing half the speed" -- it's the complete opposite: it is a scribble into a crab; and what is this half speed business?

(3) "It's a quick scrible into an crab, then the pull back is a chirp" -- close, but not quite; it doesn't say that the scribble is fadered (and also that the scribble is only two babies, as I explained in the video).

But all this proves that you can't define skratches by words only. You actually have to see it in action. That's why having skratch sessions is very important! You won't learn much by reading about skratches; go out and hang out with other skratchers! Also, if you're just a bedroom DJ, you can learn a skratch wrongly, but still go believing that you've got it, and when you realise your fault, it's already become a habit, and getting out of that is going to take time. It's a definite lose-lose.

Prime example of a bad habit is learning to 2-click by twiddles, rather than learn the history and develop it chronologically (forwards --> march --> chirps --> (add a transform and it becomes) OG flare --> 2 click). Once you've become used to it (or because that's the only way you can 2-click at all) it's hard to learn to do 2-clicks properly. Eprom has said this too.

Another bad habit, relating to 2-click, is the pinch method. As I said above, 2-click should thought in terms of adding a transform to a chirp (because chirps are 1-click) so you're doing two clicks on the fader (hence the name!); but pinching doesn't think of the 2-click as two clicks, but as one pinch, so it becomes a problem when you want to articulate each of the six sounds you produce. I've asked people who have this habit to do a 2-click orbit very slowly, and lo behold, they struggle. This is why you have to master the basics before you move to advanced skratches!

It seems there is an epidemic of both habits among new skratchers. This is worrying. :unsure:

I think you should write a scratch tutorial book Yoshi!

I don't think there is a need for that, though. Many don't realise that Qbert's DIY Vol. 1 DVD is the only resource you need to get from a complete beginner level to, say, Rafik's. I really do believe that. Of course, there are some little things that would've been nice if it were included, but the DVD is really comprehensive.

You may think that if the above were true, then why aren't all skratchers like Rafik? Well, the problem is that most people don't actually go through everything on that DVD. If you master every single one of them, and can repeat every phrase Qbert does in each section, then all the structure of all the 'other' techniques (like delayed 2 click, or whatever) should be transparent to you. In any case, the fact that not many people skratch with the right hand on the record and left hand on the fader, hamster-style, shows how most people don't learn from the DIY DVD.

there is an epidemic of both habits among new skratchers. This is worrying. :unsure:

lol if you say so... personally I don't lose any sleep over it

BTW that's a really easy-to-follow tutorial. I haven't got the overtimed version mastered yet, but it won't be long.

Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...