Photoshop help - Cutting out a logo

Steve

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Photoshop, but I've got to grips with the very basics. I've been trying to make disc images for Xbox 360 games. Here's the first one I made: -

Le Tour de France PAL Disc.jpg

I've got a template that I'm using for most of the work, so all I really need to do is find the main image to use (the cyclists in the example above) and the game's logo/title. In the case of that example, cutting out the logo was easy, because it has defined edges and Photoshop's Magic Wand tool automatically selected it all for me.

Where I'm having a problem is when the Magic Wand doesn't automatically select the edges of the logo correctly. For example, I'd like to cut this logo out: -

Call-of-Juarez-Cartels-Announced.jpg

But how would I do it so the edges of it look nice and clean?

instead of magic wand use quick selection and you'll pick the letters right out. from there hit refine edges in the quick selection toolbar and play around with the settings, and it'll create a layer mask automatically. it took me about 10 seconds to get it almost perfect - I upped the contrast and feathered a little bit and it was almost there. then for a super quick and dirty fix with the last of the black i just re-rasterised it and magic wanded away the black with a low tolerance, then added a drop shadow. it's not perfect as i haven't zapped away the edges properly but this took me about a minute, so doing a decent job by using better tolerances for the mask and the magic wand detection and edge selection... and maybe a little bit of manual erasing as a final tidy, would take about 10 minutes and you'd be able to add a stroke if you made sure the edges were sharp too for more authenticity.

I know we've got bonafide designers in here now btw so if someone wants to show me a better way please do because i'm just self taught.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/42/testxo.jpg/

Another way of cutting out complex images with no defined edges is using the Pen Tool. It's a little more time consuming than other techniques, but you get the best results by far. When the image is very complex there aren't really any shortcuts, and all the designers I've worked with use this technique. It's a little tricky in the beginning but once you get the hang of it, you can cut out images fairly quickly like this.

Pen Tool Guide

• 2 months later...