Windows 8 releasing in 2012

Steve

It doesn't seem that long since I installed Windows 7, but Steve Ballmer announced today that Windows 8 will be released in 2012. Hopefully they do another release candidate like last time, so I can try it out for a few months for free.

Meh, hopefully it won't be such a total process whore and will actually make some genuine improvements over 7 and not just be a clone with 1 or 2 new gimmicky features.

Edited by kage

• 2 weeks later...

Looks kinds useful but why do they have to keep obsessing over touch? There's this guy at my work who's meant to be this "digital guru" and he's obsessed that touch is the future but why? How do I operate Excel by touching the screen? If my hands are down by my keyboard and mouse I can control the whole system while keeping my hands quite still. Now they're designing things where I'm supposed to reach in front of me to do things I never had difficulty doing anyway.

Like at 2.17 he's snapping those apps in (how do you know the order btw?) when there's a perfectly good interface for doing that already - the taskbar! Do you remember that Microsoft? You invented it (possibly, lol!)

It seems like computing is going in a direction that favours "light users" rather than "power users" and that pisses me off a bit. mind you I bet all the old school haxx0rs said that when they brought in PACI.

Plus ca change...

I think thats awesome. It doesn't look as good as mac art wise though. It looks cheap like a pamphlet or something. The need to get the design sorted. Apart from that if I was using a touch screen tablet I'd prefer that looks like fun!

• 2 weeks later...

That OS looks like it would be great on tablets and other portable/touch devices, but I'm not sure how great it would be for a desktop. In my case I sit a good 4-5ft. from my monitor as I use my pc from the comfort of my couch, so if a lot of the apps/features are designed for use with touchscreens I feel like people with bigger monitors, or people who use their TV as their monitor will be having to sit 10in away from a 30-60in screen in order to utilize the new OS to the fullest.