iPhones are for peasants

Steve

With their expensive taste in gadgets, iPhone users may appear to have ample disposable income.

But almost one in five owners of the must-have phone admit that their main bank account is always overdrawn.

This is around double the national average, with one in ten Britons admitting to being constantly in the red.

In comparison, 54 per cent of those who own a phone that uses the rival Android operating system and half of BlackBerry owners say they are never overdrawn.

The figures were revealed in a survey that found financial status and salary can be linked to what type of smartphone you use.

Those who use an Android or BlackBerry are also more likely to earn more than those who with an iPhone.

The YouGov poll found that 10 per cent of BlackBerry owners earned more than £50,000 a year, but only 5 per cent of iPhone users reached this salary bracket.

A total of 7 per cent of Android phone owners had a salary in this range.

Just under a half of iPhone users earn less than £20,000 a year, compared with 38 per cent who own a BlackBerry and 27 per cent of Android users.

The Android has overtaken the iPhone as Britain’s most popular smartphone with 28 per cent of those polled owning a device powered by Android, compared with Apple’s 26 per cent.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1373055/Why-iPhone-users-look-rich-usually-poor.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Ahh I love the Daily Mail, they only give half of the story.

If you look how they write, the statistics are completley meaningless.

But almost one in five owners of the must-have phone admit that their main bank account is always overdrawn.

so less than 20% are always overdrawn

In comparison, 54 per cent of those who own a phone that uses the rival Android operating system and half of BlackBerry owners say they are never overdrawn.

54% of android users and 50% Blackberry users are never overdrawn,

Without looking at all the stats you could conclude that 80% of iphone users are never overdrawn!

I also like how they link the phone to the salary. As far as I recall, the blackberry was aimed at business types on the go because of the great encryption of the emails and they never gave out the encryption key. It was only later that the masses started getting hold of them. I cant say I have ever seen an Iphone given out on a business contract. so it would make sense that the high fliers would have a Blackberry becasue it is provided by the company, Iwould be quite interesting to see how many of the blackberry users actually also own an Ipod.

Guest Symatic

78% of statistics are made up on the spot.

87% of those statistics are made up by the Daily Mail.

90% of Daily Mail Readers make mistakes when reading 38% of non-made up statistics.

Here's the stats from YouGuv's poll results: -

Percentage of people that say they are never overdrawn at the bank: -

iPhone = 39%

Android = 54%

Blackberry = 49%

Looks like iPhone owners are peasants to me!

Percentage of people that say they are always overdrawn: -

iPhone = 18%

Android = 14%

Blackberry = 13%

Looks like iPhone owners are peasants to me!

Perhaps buying a cheaper and better phone is a wise choice, as going with Apple products seems to lead to you earning less money, using an overdraft more often, and the chance of you being permanently in the red is greater. ;)

There, at least that's some comparable stats.

Maybe ur right. But surely the market percentage of each device makes the stats somewhat skewed. Also, we all know that Blackberry (at least in the US) has always been and still is the phone of choice for businessmen and women (regarding phones that are supplied to employees by employers) so that skews the data too. I know tons of professionals that bitch about their stupid crackberry and how they wish their job would buy them iPhones. Androids are more for people in the know... it's like comparing Mac users to Windows users and Linux users I would think. The Linux / Android are gonna be techy employed nerds. The Windows / Blackberry people are gonna be your upper middle class people and your Mac / iPhone are gonna be your broke hipsters, artists, students and musicians.

• Like 1

that Blackberry (at least in the US) has always been and still is the phone of choice for businessmen and women..... I know tons of professionals that bitch about their stupid crackberry and how they wish their job would buy them iPhones.

We've moved over to iphones at work because of the exchange and office integration which is pretty good. Probably the new windows phones are ok but we're already mostly iphones now. The main reason for switching from blackberry was the ability to read office documents easily on the go

Androids are more for people in the know...

... for me the main advantage is the ubiquitousness of iphones and ipods. You know you're going to be able to hook it up to stuff and it's usually easy to borrow a charger. I like the idea of android phones but as the market share is divided between several manufacturers other equipment is less likely to be as compatible. For example, I was looking for a dab radio alarm clock with an iphone dock and found them all over the place but you don't see them for specific android phones

Every manufacturer uses micro-USB for chargers now in Europe, so you can use a regular micro-USB cable or a charger from any phone. I think there's only one manufacturer that doesn't in fact, and you can probably figure out who they are.

The point still stands that life is generally easier with an iphone as its too important to apple and other manufacturers for it not to

Is there a Novation Automap app for Android?

Cubase iC for Android?

If you were an app developer / hardware manufacturer and were drawing up a list of phones to cater for you'd most likely have iphone on there, even if you could only afford to make the list one long!

I can deal with the stigma of people thinking I'm not in the know cos my life's easier with a phone that is more likely to work with other stuff

My iPhone 3GS contract is finally up in June so I can move it to a cheap £10 a month job. Was mulling over giving the 3GS to the wife and getting an Android but honestly the iPhone mostly does what I want for the time being. If a 64gb iPhone 5 comes out in a year or so I may look at that. You do get tied into those Apple bastards though. I have a B&W dock at home and iPod/iPhone interface in the car and although I can use aux inputs for both it's not quite the same. Even my mum's stereo has a bloody iPod dock on it.

^^That's the problem. As was already brought up. ... I bought my wife a Zune when it came out. What can she use it with? Nothing. If you know how to program your own shit the Android would be sick but otherwise it's just amateur hour, isn't it? I fought the iPhone for a long time but honestly, never been happier. I like the Android, but it wasn't out when I was switching from Blackjacks and Blackberry... so, tuff shit for coming to the party too late.

The point still stands that life is generally easier with an iphone as its too important to apple and other manufacturers for it not to

Is there a Novation Automap app for Android?

Cubase iC for Android?

If you were an app developer / hardware manufacturer and were drawing up a list of phones to cater for you'd most likely have iphone on there, even if you could only afford to make the list one long!

I can deal with the stigma of people thinking I'm not in the know cos my life's easier with a phone that is more likely to work with other stuff

Well said.

I don't really care but the marketing of the iPhone (and all Apple products) is so arrogant that I'm reluctant to bother with them as a brand. As far as I can tell there are advantages to using Apple products in some areas but those are outweighed by price and the negative opinion of the brand I have.

The ubiquitousness of iPhones is only temporary. Don't forget that phones have built in obsolescence so each model or brand is only as good as its next generation. iPhone has been losing market share for ages now. I wouldn't not have an iPhone but for the price I'd rather have the Desire. There's only one situation where I'd consider buying a Mac and that's if I ever needed to do complex virtual midi stuff, which I can't really envisage.