Shoutbox offline - Site speed test (please respond)

Steve

The site's fucking slow every day again. For me, the bar at the bottom of the screen that says the shoutbox is refreshing seems to get stuck. I've just disabled the shoutbox and the site is immediately faster to load, but that could be a coincidence.

So, post your experiences with the site speed in this thread. Has disabling the shoutbox made any difference?

I don't want to hear complaints about the shoutbox being offline, cos at the end of the day, having the forum usable is the main priority, so if the shoutbox is affecting that, it'll have to go (at least for now). I want honest answers so I can work on getting to the root of the problem.

Much appreciated!

The main thiing I've noticed is it tends to fuck up about 3pm every day and usually fails to load, with a "server taking too long to respond" message.

Also throughout the day my shouts tend to get lost between being sent and appearing. I often have to send them two or three times before they show up, but they do disappear form the edit field when I press enter.

As of now, the main thing I want to know is whether disabling the shoutbox has made any difference to the site performance. If the answer is a resounding "no" then I will re-enable it. Issues that occur starting at a certain time of day point to server issues beyond my immediate control, but that info is useful nonetheless.

It's possible that the difference I'm seeing is down to my web browser (Opera) not working well with the shoutbox - Unlikely, but I'm just throwing out ideas.

The most likely culprit is probably Bluehost, but before I go making a complaint to them and asking them to move DV to a different server, I want to make sure that it is actually them that's to blame so they can't wiggle out of it.

Over what timeframe, Jimmy? Are you saying that it was fine from work and home with the shoutbox enabled, and that disabling it has made no difference?

the last couple weeks. i've not actually noticed any difference in performance for a long time. and for me personally its been fine with and without the shoutbox.

i had a few experiences with shouts going missing, but thats always been there a tiny bit. its just part of the shoutbox charm.

Could you set it up so that the SB is not at the bottom and you have to click the top SHOUTBOX tab to go to it. Would that help?

Possibly, but I want to narrow down the site performance issues first. The shoutbox may have nothing to do with it.

I've complained to Bluehost again and asked if the site can be moved to a different server, but as yet I've had no response.

Bluehost were utterly useless as usual: -

Unfortunately, we cannot migrate your account for server performance reasons. Moving your site can cause unnecessary downtime, has a small potential to lose files in the process, and there's no guarantee that the new server won't have the same issue. Because of this, we would much prefer to fix the issue on this server so that it is just as responsive as any other.

Our admins are alerted as soon as any services go down on any server (including mysql, httpd, email, etc.), and are usually working to fix the issue within seconds.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may be causing.

Thank you,

Tim

Level III Tech Support Engineer

BlueHost.com

Just a bullshit stock answer.