Native Instruments RAZOR

Dan

Been waiting for this to come out, looks like a nice Reaktor ensemble, my only fear is that is might create a new wave of dubstep/electro house which all sounds like it was made with Razor haha.

damn this synth has really nice sounds for only $70.00. might consider getting this instead. here's a list of synths i'm considering buying. the only problem is my budget can only afford one. anyway let me know what you think

nexus, omnisphere, or sylenth 1.

With nexus you are paying for essentially a sample bank, its a big collection of sounds which are very usable but you have limited ability to tweak them and no ability to make your own.

Omnisphere like nexus has a big pack of quality recorded sounds and presets but unlike nexus you have a really powerful engine behind it allowing you to twist, combine and make them your own.

Sylenth 1 is a more traditional synth which will make more synthetic noises, it's capable of great synth lines, pads, leads and basses but less organic than Omnisphere can be.

Razor much like Sylenth is a synth rather than using samples to build its sounds, from the video it looks interesting and like it might have some unique features but it also looks like it has specific sounds in mind which I'm sure it will do very well but my feeling is that it may not be as versatile as Sylenth. Saying that its a Reaktor synth and if you have Reaktor (Razor its own will come with the free reaktor player but if you have the full reaktor then it will open in that and you can modify it) literally anything is possible with it.

Basically I think it depends on what you are after and from your post it sounds like you are after quality presets, if this is the case then all are fantastic and you should just go to each site and listen to the demos and see what sounds most useful to you. If you are looking for something to build your own sounds I'd stay clear of nexus, it's a dance music monster but not that great to experiment with. Other than that it just depends on what sounds your after, each is suited to a slightly different sort of sound so listen & choose :)

Just got RAZOR and fuck me! Awesome synth, far exceeded my expectations, very easy to dial in useable sounds with a different timbre to what you'd usually expect. Even the presets are good & usable and I never use presets. It's a little bit of the beaten track as your main workhorse synth but if you got a few good synths and want something new which is straight forward to use, sounds a bit different and sound fucking awesome then well worth the £50 or whatever it costs!

who else loves tom?

i fuckin do, great breakdown of each synth. good lookin out with that tom. that definitely helped narrow down my choices.

i'm looking for something for some club , pop, and rnb for this album i'm workin on with another artist. at the same time, i also want something that i can use for hip hop too but i think right now i can only afford razor. i need to focus on some club hits and from that demo, razor had some bangin presets itself. i guess im going for the samples but i also like tweaking them, would you say that omnisphere is a good buy for how expensive it is? i'm also interested in this one called "titan" but it's not even available on its own site.

who else loves tom?

i fuckin do, great breakdown of each synth. good lookin out with that tom. that definitely helped narrow down my choices.

i'm looking for something for some club , pop, and rnb for this album i'm workin on with another artist. at the same time, i also want something that i can use for hip hop too but i think right now i can only afford razor. i need to focus on some club hits and from that demo, razor had some bangin presets itself. i guess im going for the samples but i also like tweaking them, would you say that omnisphere is a good buy for how expensive it is? i'm also interested in this one called "titan" but it's not even available on its own site.

Omnisphere is awesome (although I don't use it myself) however if you looking for something to make club, pop & rnb it wouldn't be the most obvious choice, having played with Razor some more I reckon for the price you'd probably get some pretty good usage out of it, I have heard that you can't save snapshots if you use it in the free Reaktor Player instead of the full reaktor but I assume that any presets that you create in a project will get saved with the project so that should be ok.

Nexus would probably also work quite well for club/pop/rnb as would sylenth1...don't know anything about Titan though.

To be honest if you can afford it I'd recommend NI Komplete, that's all the NI plugins and it's more that you could ever use, it's about £400 so it's a bit pricey but you can about 7 plugins plus loads of awesome presets & sample libraries. If you can't make any style of music that you want with that pack then you may as well give up lol. It's a bit more pricey that what you talking about but its everything you could ever need for production. Really worth it!

yea man komplete is for sure everything in one. a must have for any producer. that would be nice to get but hopefully i could get it before a soundsonline sale. i really love eastwest vsti but right now i'm looking for some electronic sounds. one last question, what do you think of sampletank 2?

never used it so can't comment :) From what you're saying though it seems you want a good collection of stock sounds to use rather than to do you're own sound design in which case just listen to demos on websites & watch people giving guides on youtube. You might also find the Native Instrument Sound packs interesting (some of which are included in Komplete).

Also it's worth noting that Komplete comes with Kontakt which is a (very powerful) sampler, this comes with a 90GB sample library much of which is a subset of the Vienna Symphonic Library, it's not an exhaustive library but it's pretty usable. Probably not so good if you want to score an entire orchestra but is you want a string section or something it's there.

Hold out for a few months before looking at Komplete if you can, NI seem to have an annual trend where the release at version of Komplete at the end of Aug/Beginning of September, about a month or so before they do that they seem to discount the current version by an obscene amount so if you want until June/July you might be able to get Komplete 7 for silly cheap money (like £299 or something)...saying that a month later they'll really Komplete 8 and you'll feel compelled to buy the upgrade lol. I bought 5 and upgraded to 6 but I've skipped 7 and gonna upgrade to 8.

Sorry to rant about Komplete but it really is that good hehe.

i'm really interested in komplete, so your rant is very useful to me. i might end up getting it during their sale time. i'm kinda disappointed bout the orchestral instruments but everything else is amazing. their electric guitar isn't bad either, i like their chug guitar sound compared to the one i'm using now. i think komplete is one of those must have softwares in the studio.