I bought a Sansa Clip+

Steve

sansa clip+.jpg

£35 for an 8GB one with an extra 8GB Sandisk microSD card included.

It's a wicked little player. Really light, has a clip on the back for attaching it to your clothes, an OLED screen, a microSD card slot, and it charges via USB. It supports MP3, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC and Audible audio-books, plus it has an FM radio and voice recorder.

The included headphones are naff (as always), but with good headphones it sounds great.

It's up to 15 hours according to the specs, so not amazing compared to some other players, but for one that small it's very good. I don't know what the real world performance is, cos it came charged and I haven't run it flat yet.

I ordered it from Play.com. You're supposed to get an 8GB card with it for free, but one 8GB card arrived, then another arrived a day later, then nothing. I thought they'd sent out 2 memory cards instead of a memory card and the MP3 player, but then about a week later the MP3 player arrived, so I ended up with 2 x 8GB microSD cards and the 8GB Clip+ for 35 quid. :((

Play have shafted me before in the past, so I wasn't going to return the extra card they sent me!

Haha nice deal!

I think 15 hours for something that size seems pretty decent. I'd be tempted to get one of those at that price. It'd replace my fucked old 4GB Zen something or other which was about £80 way back when - and the clothes attachment would be most handy.

Yeah, I bought it to use when riding my bike, so it being light and having a clip was the main thing I was looking for.

That said, I bought a set of these headphones to use with it, but I can't hear fuck all of the outside world when they're on, so I think I might have to use the stock headphones when I get my bike out, lol.

m3bigbanner.jpg

Thats the problem with half decent earbuds. I used to have some of those hang-over-the-ear type headphones, just some £10 sony jobbies. You could hear loads of what's going on, which was really handy when crossing roads, or in the office or whatever.

How much were those headphones? I don't like spending much on them cos i always lose or break them.

The only reason I got this is because of how small and light it is, and because it clips to your clothes. It's good for when you're exercising outside or at the gym (not that I'm doing much of that right now! lol), or just doing stuff around the house.

Those Brainwavz headphones I bought broke inside a week, so I've sent them back for a refund. Anyone got any recommendations of half-decent portable headphones around the £30-£50 mark?

...or just doing stuff around the house.

Wanking? It's wanking.

Those Brainwavz headphones I bought broke inside a week, so I've sent them back for a refund. Anyone got any recommendations of half-decent portable headphones around the £30-£50 mark?

These are meant to be the shiz

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0022NHHZY/cab-21/

Anyone got any recommendations of half-decent portable headphones around the £30-£50 mark?

I have these - Sennheiser CX400s.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/mp3/review/2008/01/30/Sennheiser-CX400-Canalphones/p2

They're great - and you should even be able to pick up the mk2 'precision' versions, which include an inline volume control and some spec improvements, with money to spare from your £50.

Cheers gents. There's so much choice, I dunno what's good.

The Brainwavz ones I returned sounded great, but the cable had a bad memory effect, so if you curled it up it would be hard to straighten it out. Also, if you tapped the cable it would translate into sound in the headphones, which was wank. After a few days, the sound in one ear piece was loads quieter than the other, so I sent them back.

if you tapped the cable it would translate into sound in the headphones, which was wank.

I bought some that did that. Horrible. I got rid of them. My faves for casual listening are the Sony bass buds #MDR-ED12LP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120536544120&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_603wt_982

And the Phillips sports buds:

http://www.shopwiki.com/_Philips+SHQ1000/28+In-Ear+Headphones+Tuned+for+Sports?o=1120779115&s=3885

The sonys sound better IMO but I like the clip and configure/look of the phillips.

• 3 months later...

They have the 4GB one on woot today for $19 + $5 shipping... I'm REALLY tempted to get it but wish it was the 8GB....

• 11 months later...

^^wish i had done that :(

Hey steve, I bought one of the 4gb ones off eBay for $20. doesn't include any cables or disc tho. Do I have to install special software or should I be good to go? I am also assuming it uses a regular USB to that little plug transfer cable.

No software is required mate, unless you want to auto-sync music. If you just want to drag and drop tunes to it, all you need is a USB to mini-USB cable to hook it up to your computer.

Check the firmware version by going to Settings - System Settings - Info. The latest version is 01.02.16. If you have an earlier version than that, here's the update (this is for the Clip+ only, not the regular Clip): -

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmware/clipplus/clipplus01.02.16.zip

Unzip the file and move it to the root directory of the Clip+, then disconnect it from the USB cable and it should begin the update process. Make sure the battery is above 50% charged before you do it.

It has a microSD card slot, so you can easily expand the storage with microSD and microSDXC cards.

The only thing to bear in mind with these small Sandisk players is that under the stock firmware they are limited to 8,000 songs as that's the most the song database can hold. If that's an issue, you can actually flash the Clip+ with Rockbox: -

http://www.rockbox.org/

• Like 1

• 8 months later...