Catching Up With the Scratch Scene in 2011

Chee

For the first time since 1997, I have just spent the first year without my turntables set up in my room / flat / house. The last time I was 'properly' into the scratch scene was probably 2006/7, and the last scratch I learnt and got the hang of was delayed 2-clicks.

So after my boredom-induced hiatus, I was going to find a spot in my new apartment and set up my gear and pick up scratching as a hobby again, and brush up on the latest techniques, etc.

So what's been happening since 07? Anyone I should be checking out to see what's fresh in 2010/11? I checked out the scratch techniques forum on DV, but didn't see much - just the walking swing flares (which look like chirp-forward transform-backward transform to me...)

Community Skratch Games!! I seriously recommend checking this out a lot of the artists have material for sale or download to boost your scratch music collection. In terms of technique, I know for myself its about going back to basics and working on my vocal transition cuts and trying to get that next lev but, also working on my flow with an aaaah sample and trying to get it to sound interesting to a non scratcher!

in 2011 it all aboot bringin the funk!

Ric's endorsing this amazing new thing that's going to revolutionise the game... no, honestly...

lol

Did the Controller 1 ever take off? Judging by the fact that I don't see it mentioned too much, I'm guessing not...

Community Skratch Games!!

Cool will check this out.

Community Skratch Games!! I seriously recommend checking this out a lot of the artists have material for sale or download to boost your scratch music collection. In terms of technique, I know for myself its about going back to basics and working on my vocal transition cuts and trying to get that next lev but, also working on my flow with an aaaah sample and trying to get it to sound interesting to a non scratcher!

in 2011 it all aboot bringin the funk!

Here's a couple of links you might want to check for the Community Skratch stuff.

firstly this years tour video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqzbwD4lsk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And here's the NozL recordings website. http://www.nozlrecordings.com there's loads of free downloads on there as Joe mentioned as well as links to lots of other videos.

Speaking about bringing the funk, for me the people to watch out for in 2011 are Oslo Flow (Blam and Plato) Jimmy Penguin and Deviant.