VSTs?

Jimmy

hello,

those know know (and love) me know that i generally ignore software. but today is the start of a new dawn. so what i need help with is vsts please.

im planning to have abit of fun playing around with dnb. so does anyone know any good software plug ins for reeses and deep synth things. i need it to be able to work with logic. i dont really know where to start and i know alot of you know alot more than me about this sort of thing.

any other recommendations would be great.

thanks xx

For your mac you'll want AU plugins rather than VST... personally i think Native Instruments software is more or less the be all and end all of plugins. Take a look at Massive and some of the preset libraries for instant bass. If not NI, I would look at Ohm Force stuff for really dirty sounds and effects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Logic has everything you need included, try to experiment with what you've already got then maybe consider a single power house synth once you are familiar with the building blocks of synthesis, there are many great ones out there but I think NI Massive is probably the most intuative one.

Before trying to approach a beastly synth though start with something simple and learn/work out (if you haven't already) what oscilators, filters, envelopes & lfos do and what the different basic waveforms (sine, triangle, saw & square/pulse) sound like, Logic's ES2 might be a good place to start for this.

Modern drum & bass is one of the most heavily engineered genres of music out there so achieving sounds similar to some of the big players is quite a challenge and will take quite a lot of learning and practice but there is plenty of fun to be had in the process.

Since you mentioned reese basses I'll tell you now a reese is made by detuning a few saw waves. So if your synth supports 3 oscillators switch them all on and switch them to saw then tune one of them up slightly (by about 10-20cents) and tune another one the same amount in the opposite direction. If you then run this through a low pass filter you'll have something similar to an old classic reese. Modern reeses how ever run through massive effects chains and are processed and reproceeded. There's lots of info about this stuff on the web (mostly in the grid section on dogsonacid) but if you want any specific help gimme a shout.

Logic has everything you need included, try to experiment with what you've already got then maybe consider a single power house synth once you are familiar with the building blocks of synthesis, there are many great ones out there but I think NI Massive is probably the most intuative one.

Before trying to approach a beastly synth though start with something simple and learn/work out (if you haven't already) what oscilators, filters, envelopes & lfos do and what the different basic waveforms (sine, triangle, saw & square/pulse) sound like, Logic's ES2 might be a good place to start for this.

Modern drum & bass is one of the most heavily engineered genres of music out there so achieving sounds similar to some of the big players is quite a challenge and will take quite a lot of learning and practice but there is plenty of fun to be had in the process.

Since you mentioned reese basses I'll tell you now a reese is made by detuning a few saw waves. So if your synth supports 3 oscillators switch them all on and switch them to saw then tune one of them up slightly (by about 10-20cents) and tune another one the same amount in the opposite direction. If you then run this through a low pass filter you'll have something similar to an old classic reese. Modern reeses how ever run through massive effects chains and are processed and reproceeded. There's lots of info about this stuff on the web (mostly in the grid section on dogsonacid) but if you want any specific help gimme a shout.

thankyou Tom.

yeh im pretty sure its gonna take me an age to get to anything im pleased with but like you said, at least i can have some fun on the way.

and yeh i'll look deeper into what logic already has for me to play with.

not 100% yet dopp. just gonna have a play and take my time and see what i can come up with.

its gonna be dnb i know that much.

to be fair im gonna start on getting some really good drum breaks made, but i know how to do that already.

• 2 months later...