Dopp's first cuts

Hi here's me practicing my "combos". I figured it was time to start practicing cuts so this is just me doing lesson 2(?) of Q-bert's DIY. I think this is the most basic scratch practice I've personally ever seen here.

Sorry for the file quality, sound is a bit off because the DIY vid is playing off YouTube, my scratches are coming out of my hi-fi speakers. This was recorded on just my laptop webcam.

Any feedback welcome. One bit I can't get is the very fast "ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah, ah yeah"s so I just push the record forward rather than let it go which makes a kind of "z-z-z-z-z-z-z-ah yeah" sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Mx5iZ6eok

stabs and transforms to follow

As threatened, ignore the middle bit, it skipped and I lost the sample. This is really sloppy in parts but I wasn't gonna rerecord it because I had to rig up a kind of camera/laptop stand out of 2 chairs and I put it all away and I can't edit because they took movie maker off Windows 7!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu6E9K_784w

I know I tell every one this but may be raise your tables up. They should come up to just below your elbows when they are bent, or to your waist line. This is when your hands have most control ie piano players etc.

Its looks good tho man, the early stages are a killer! enjoy the process not the goal.

Other than that, when your transforming may be try holding the record and manipulating it more? But control just comes with practise

Raise your turntables. Get a skipless record. Try putting your hand further forward on the records and relax your muscles a bit. Also go round to Jimmy's and cut with him he's good and you can really learn fast by doing that. Sounding good so far though man. :)

Thanks guys, I never considered TT height to be an issue - the top of my TTs and mixer is about the same height as my nutsack. I'll stick some Yellow Pages under there or something.

When I watched those vids back I think you're right about relaxing my muscles. I'm working on it! I'm going to nail these then chirps and try and put a bit of a combo/routine together.

but more seriously...

it might sound a bit wierd... but instead of trying to forcibly push the record the record try just resting your hand on the record then moving your hand.

you should find that the record moves just as readily cos it's stuck to your fingers but there's less force / tension in your hand so it'll feel more natural.

Hedging your bets, good idea. Picture a baby carrot and you're 90% there - not for everyone but it's got its charms.

Oh and that was 6 posts in before we degenerated into cock talk. Good going guys!