Slow skratching

Kian

ive watched many many videos of skratching on youtube. it seems like double timing and speed skratching is the trend. i say speed skratching will hide a lot of mistakes and lack of techniques, thats probably why everyone does it. it sounds good and all but what happened to being funky and soulful?

i tend just to do the things i enjoy, i really like slow scratching, but i think mixed with tech combos then you're onto a winner.

i think some people might do speed scratching cos they think they should and thats whats shown off in DMCs.

best scratching for me is coming from the people involved in the community scratch games, that the place i get the most inspiration from anyway

I've been getting really heavily into slower scratches with transform chirps and dicing combos. I find that you have to concentrate lots more on pitch and record control to sound half decent with these patterns. Rucker is defo a don with these cuts.

To be honest though I don't care too much about sounding 'funky' or 'soulful' though. Bit too subjective a term for me. I have a hard enough time consistently flowing without having to worry about whether my cuts are funky enough etc.

To be honest though I don't care too much about sounding 'funky' or 'soulful' though. Bit too subjective a term for me. I have a hard enough time consistently flowing without having to worry about whether my cuts are funky enough etc.

word! i think funk is part of style, which you shouldnt work on, its just your style, it comes naturally. whether that style is funk or whatever else

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

would you consider this funky?

my cuts

funky fresh yeah!

Shit man i've tried that ipod scratching app and i know how difficult it is to use.... respect!

cheers man, yeah it's a pain because of lag and the touchscreen isnt the best for slow movements. but it's what you gotta use when you're out and about! (or at work)

• 2 months later...

the style you on about is soooo hard, i think your right, that's why no ones does it. i've not heard many people do it too well - only the big dogs: Toadstyle, Ruck, D Styles etc oh yeah and Dee Swift!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...