New forum section idea

Steve

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we're TRYING to get a few members to come together to create some scratch tutorial videos.. with ttm included, titles and anything that can help promote dv.

..mainly to add to a potential new section of the board that somewhat mirrors dj forums' Scratch Camp.

no content so far.

we're TRYING to get a few members to come together to create some scratch tutorial videos.. with ttm included, titles and anything that can help promote dv.

..mainly to add to a potential new section of the board that somewhat mirrors dj forums' Scratch Camp.

no content so far.

Ok so geared towards n00bs or more advanced peeps? Like we're looking to get all the basic cuts recorded or some next levvy stuff?

I might be interested in contributing, I can't promise anything as I might decide to disappear of the face of the scratchernet for another 2 years, but if I don't I could maybe help out.

no content so far.

Ok so geared towards n00bs or more advanced peeps? Like we're looking to get all the basic cuts recorded or some next levvy stuff?

I might be interested in contributing, I can't promise anything as I might decide to disappear of the face of the scratchernet for another 2 years, but if I don't I could maybe help out.

We can aim it at all levels, but I think it would be better to aim at n00bs first. I've already discussed the new section with some people on DJ Forums and there's definite interest in it and a few of the people from there have signed up here already, but obviously the section doesn't exist yet.

we want to at least get the BASIC scratches out first just to get some content out quick and fast.

more complex scratches would definitely have to come later... because there are a lot of basics to cover.

ok im home! ill do one on forwards then then send you it to do the vid editing, let me know if you want it different. ill record the audio serparetly. ill use a DV beat too. shall i group em with stabs too? guess not i guess to avoid confusion

yo man heres my idea of what might be needed for those vids, tell me if you need any thing more or less, ie i can write a description or something.

Can you turn vids upside down?

The only way i can get a really good camera angle is if i have the camera kind of upside down hanging from my blind... any way ill upload it and you can take a look. This is more of a test than any thing, let me know what you think and I can tinker any thing.

The default of my camera appers to be MOV too, is that alright?

Its quite scrappy actually, its much harder just doing 1 scratch coz youve got to supress your tendency to move in to other scratches.. any way as i say i'll probably smarten em up if this is what your looking for

here it is any way

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e11wpw

yo man heres my idea of what might be needed for those vids, tell me if you need any thing more or less, ie i can write a description or something.

Can you turn vids upside down?

The only way i can get a really good camera angle is if i have the camera kind of upside down hanging from my blind... any way ill upload it and you can take a look. This is more of a test than any thing, let me know what you think and I can tinker any thing.

The default of my camera appers to be MOV too, is that alright?

Its quite scrappy actually, its much harder just doing 1 scratch coz youve got to supress your tendency to move in to other scratches.. any way as i say i'll probably smarten em up if this is what your looking for

here it is any way

http://www.sendspace.com/file/e11wpw

rotating a video is not a problem at all.

thanks for submitting.

i am at work at the moment but will get on this as soon as i get home.

thanks doob.

hey doob. this is a good video. good angle.

if anyone wants to offer some instructions, narration for the video, please speak up.

i wanted to ask.. everyone for that matter..

should we just use audio thats recorded rather than hearing the thuds/clicks from the fader and record?

that was the only thing i didnt really care for in the video.

hey doob. this is a good video. good angle.

if anyone wants to offer some instructions, narration for the video, please speak up.

i wanted to ask.. everyone for that matter..

should we just use audio thats recorded rather than hearing the thuds/clicks from the fader and record?

that was the only thing i didnt really care for in the video.

well yeah i attached the audio in mp3 format in that file man so you could sync it up, i wasnt a big fan of the audio in that either coz u can hear me sniffing all the time!

i'll write up a description for it too

How's this??? feel free to edit if anythings not clear.....

Before you should learn the forwards scratch make sure you are up to speed with the baby scratch first. This is most likely the first scratch you will learn which requires the use of the cross fader. The fader is left open for only the 'forwards' part of the sample being played on the record, hence the name.

To break down this scratch to its most basic, the fader starts in the open position and the sample is played. The fader is then pushed into the off position and then the record is pulled backwards to the start of the sample, this removes the backwards sound. The fader is then returned to the on position and the sample can be released again. In other words the scratch is the same as a baby with the backwards stroke removed. Once it becomes possible to perform the technique fast the movement becomes natural and the record and fader hands almost become in sync. (Also see stabs)

I think the description on the video should be more basic than that, doob, even thought that's a decent description. We'll have a thread per scratch here on DV with the video embedded, a TTM diagram, and a more detailed written break down. If we give too much info away in the vids, people will be less tempted to come here perhaps.

I think we should go with simple descriptions, so in the case of forwards, we could put something like this: -

Open the fader, let the sound play, close the fader, then pull the sound back to the beginning.

Then at the end of the video, we'd have something like this: -

For a more in-depth tutorial on forwards and other scratch techniques, plus feedback and help with your scratching and mixing, visit www.digitalvertigo.co.uk

Then we'd have a link both to DV and the forwards thread on DV.

Here on DV, we'll include a more in-depth description and maybe some details on the history of the scratch with early examples of DJs doing it, maybe examples of current DJs doing it really well or whatever so people hear how far the technique can be taken.

What do you think?

my b doob. i only tried to preview the audio on my mac and it didnt preview.. ill load it up later today and start tweaking the video.

i agree with steve. lets be basic in the vids and then offer more in depth descriptions on the forum. which will thus bring ppl to the forum.

this will be good for a test, but for future, it may be better to have something scripted.. that way whoever is recording can pause.. point.. & gesture accordingly.

There's no reason why it shouldn't play. It's a standard 44.1 KHz stereo 128 Kbps CBR MP3 encoded with the latest version of LAME. It works for me in all the software based players I've got on my PC. What are you trying to play it with?

Here's a WAV of it, which should definitely work: -

http://www.djfbattles.com/sigma/forwards.wav

i tried previewing it with my mac and loaded the mp3 in vlc...

wav plays fine tho.

steve, you seem to have a grasp as to how the titles and description should be.

what are we calling these particular segments? "DigitalVertigo Scratch Camp"

I'm assuming that titles can easily be changed? At this stage, I think we just need to get an idea of the format and titling, even if the titling and words that appear in the vid don't say exactly what we want them to say.

I thought we could either use "Scratch Camp", named after the thread on DJF that got me thinking of this, or "Scratch Academy". What do you think? I kinda like Scratch Camp and if people come over from DJF to have a look, they'll recognise it.

Once we have a template vid, we can get an idea of what they're all going to look like, even if it's a bit rough round the ages, then I will write all of the words and titling for all of the videos, or, what we could do is create a temporary forum section and I'll only give access to those who are interested in helping out with this, then we can write the words/titles between us. If anyone makes vids of more advanced scratches/combos, I'm not going to be able to write the words anyway because I probably won't know how to do the scratch, lol. I'll write the words for the basic scratches then the DJs that make the vids can do as you suggested, and they gesture accordingly, imaging the words coming up on the screen. I just want to see one vid first, just so I can imagine how the finished article would look.

Fair enough. I'm doing my best to get the time to work on this video(s). I usually have time over the weekends but am having to spend my time now training a new editor.

My next days off are monday and tuesday so I will get something posted for everyone by then.

One thing I feel that often gets overlooked in most scratch tutorials is rhythm,rests and pitching. It gets glossed over in the pursuit of teaching a scratch with a new name. It might be good to have a video which suggests some good practicing methods too.

yes.

we are definitely sticking to the basics for now.

i dont think we're concerned with showcasing any breakthrough techniques.

once we get this template edited, we'll get some feedback for sure and then have a better idea as to how to script the videos..

this is just a screenshot of an animated opening that im messing around with in after effects.

i'm currently at work and didnt want to render the video and upload.. but this will give everyone an idea of where i am headed.

as for during the tutorial, im thinking of just using boxes like the ones you see..

theyll fly in.. acting as a lower third.. noting the tutor's name, the scratch, brief description, and of course a link to the forum..

the end will also mirror the opening.. ending with steve's quote, "for more in depth learning and description, please visit the forum..." blah blah blah

just giving everyone a heads up.

im going to get started on the video tomorrow and tuesday.

i was just bored at work and felt compelled to create something.