What was the last record/CD/tape/8-track you bought?

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

For the last 9ish years I've been running a secondhand record shop as my 9 to 5, this was just one of the many things I've picked up along the way.

Although rare, this 8-track has no great value but I got it for pence and couldn't resist taking it home. I don't have a player of my own (I've got one at work for testing them to resell), but I only kept it to stick on my shelf over my decks.

8-tracks are rubbish actually - it's just one continuous loop of tape with 4 stereo tracks (programs) running side by side, they self-destruct, can't be rewound and with the same finite length for all four programs, songs get cut in half when they start at the end of one - in this case, Apache is one of the songs that's cut in half!

They are only bought by wierdos, people with vintage cars and nuts completist collectors who want everything by a certain artist... oh, and one trendy London wanker I met in the shop who actually DJs with them!

For the last 9ish years I've been running a secondhand record shop as my 9 to 5, this was just one of the many things I've picked up along the way.

Really? Wicked man.

The only time I've ever heard an 8-track is at a mate's house about 25 years ago. His parents had a player and I was aware of 8-tracks, but I'd never heard one so he played one for me. I just assumed they were like big cassette tapes, but they sound like a pain in the arse! I couldn't imagine DJing with them.

Being an 8-track DJ is a terrible idea - the sound is poor and varies loads from tape to tape, the massive loop of tape is held together a bit of 40 year-old silver tape that's losing it's stick, cueing's only possible by fast-forwarding and like I said before, lots of tracks are cut in half. The guy was just being pretentious.

Yeah there's like 3 good Bobby Caldwell tunes - You know Open Your Eyes, right? The one Dilla sampled for The Light?

I'm partial to the Peabo Bryson version of Do For Love, maybe partly cos I've listened to BC's version loads and only got up on this one recently

• 2 weeks later...