Calling out le jad for a cage fight

Guest loop skywalker

Of course... and all the MCs do their own beats.

I'm fairly certain that if you ask old school DMC heads, the performers (ie. djay) did all of the arranging and digging for their routines. Sure, help digging for records, sharing resources, brainstorming ideas...what not. But that's entirely different than having someone produced two records for you that you do your entire routine on. Soon the DMC is going to look like those fucking retarded "Beat Battles"

and, I agree with Steve, your analogy is flawed. Its much more akin to having someone ghost write your shit... and as an emcee, I cannot frown upon that harshly enough.

People who directly buy me beats or cutlines to make their routines don't have a pack on demand...

Dissonance, I just have to quote myself to answer to you. I don't make 2 records for turntablists and wash my hands. You completely misunderstand what we do. Like most people. It's more easy to say that now, DJs can ask a guy to make all the jobs and they just go to the battle without digging and anything.

It's so easy to see it like that. And I wasn't a ghost writter for Netik and Rafik and all the other guys. They said they worked with me in public. One of you say it's a shame to say in a video who co-produced the set. And then another one says it's worse than ghost writting?

I said yes I gohst writte, not only for battles, lol. I ghost writte also for some people who are not DJs, and what I did for Raf Netik, and Unkut has nothing to see with that.

We dig, we sample, we search. There's at least 20 songs that have sampled in Unkut's set. I think even much more. When I started helping a friend for his routines, we had no custom records. We were digging together in old jazz record, in shops, we were driving 3 hours to get new records... and now we don't work less, we work more. And we still dig as much.

You just see viideos and hear about routines pre-produced for tablists... you don't see anything else. I could say that without custom records, bad DJs kill music that isn't at all their own music. If they do a bad routine with a song from a great artist, it's worse than killing their own production. It's a big disrespect for the artist. That's what happens since routines exist. Most people are average or under average. A few are below average. And a only 0.00001% of tablist can get a very high level. Then, they can win battles without anybody helping them.

So why do they collab with me? They are in this game, they know how people think, they know all the HATE they will recieve, they could win alone, without any help. But they do a collab... why? money??? they would have had price money without me. They all knew they would have a lot of haters or people who don't understand why they collab on the production. But they put the usual tablist competitor typical proudness behind them and go on.

So why do they collab with me? They are in this game, they know how people think, they know all the HATE they will recieve, they could win alone, without any help. But they do a collab... why? money??? they would have had price money without me. They all knew they would have a lot of haters or people who don't understand why they collab on the production. But they put the usual tablist competitor typical proudness behind them and go on.

That is a good question... if they could win alone, why do they?

I personally don't see anything wrong with you doing records for DJs... I actually think it's kinda cool. What confuses me is why you? Were you doing a friend a favor the first time and then everyone wanted the same?

Like I said I think it LOOKS pompous to have your name all over the videos... it's like Suge Knight slapping his name all over Dre/Snoop/2Pacs CDs or Puffy feeling the need to be on every Biggie track... That said, I figure you didn't post the vids, so it's obviously out of respect from the DJs for what you did for them--which is cool of them... But it's interesting to me that your involvement has apparently become such a big thing that it is now a seal of approval in the quality of a battle set...

,,,all I know is I have some DMC vids to catch up on.

I don't ask people to put my name on their videos. For Unkut I told him : please, never at the beginning and as small as possible, at the very end. If they don't put my name,we go on the way of ghosts.

When Rafik asked me, he said he wanted me to help on mastering especially to have a good sound on vynil. Customs sound wack most of the time (no: all the time the sound is shity). It needs very complex mastering and experience to make a routine sound good on a custom record. At the end with Rafik we pressed hundreds of real records in a real industry. We had the cuting in one of the best studio in France. This costs a lot. We're not the first to do that for a DMC, american started (but now this is the euro evil trend, yes).

For Unkut i said: ho you want to do the DMC, come here in France we'll eat and drink, we'll go to the see, and i will make the mastering with you and maybe a few arrangement. God, he came here and when we started I couldn't stop. I wasn't sleeping. We did it finaly, but he was a friend here in france just to take good time and work just a little bit. We were not thinking about doing all this collab, it just happened like that. I wouldn't have done anything concerning the DMC last year if Unkut didn't come here. And I didn't want to take part in anyway to the DMC again.

Just a few days before Unkut came, my girlfriend told me she was pregnant. I said to Unkut: you come, you have your ticket to France, but I have to deal with something that I don't believe, so you may sleep somewhere else and spend your time with other friends in France. He came and supported me as a friend does in this case. He said "we will forget about this DMC and i don't want you to turn on your computer". We didn't worked the first days because my head was on the moon. I was not supposed to do that. Whatever, people will always think it's easy way to go to a battle, to make money, that it's all written like this and like that on our diary, to put a name on a video and masturbate on youtube's comments...

• Like 1

Guest loop skywalker

I have most of the records in my father's cave/garage. We give a few to some friends sometimes. There's a funny story about the first pressing that we did, but I'm too average in english to explain it here.

is your father batman? (this is also a joke..not personal..i.e bat cave)

Having judged the DMC Scottish final in 2000 I know that there is a category for creativity which you mark 1-3. I think if anyone but yourself has created your set or had input the result is incorrect. It also makes it difficult to keep this category in there. I think they should remove it now because it is too hard to police whether or not people have had help. And of course once you remove this it becomes just about skills which is fucking boring so the DMCs are pointless therefore le jad killed the DMCs :(( :(( :(( :((

I have most of the records in my father's cave/garage. We give a few to some friends sometimes. There's a funny story about the first pressing that we did, but I'm too average in english to explain it here.

Hook me up! :p

I was actually just thinking how good your english is. I took half a semester of french and failed horribly.

Having judged the DMC Scottish final in 2000 I know that there is a category for creativity which you mark 1-3. I think if anyone but yourself has created your set or had input the result is incorrect. It also makes it difficult to keep this category in there. I think they should remove it now because it is too hard to police whether or not people have had help.

It depends if you're talking about how creative the set is, or how creative the DJ is, because the two are not necessarily the same. I doubt there's many DJs that create sets totally in isolation. If you think about some of the big names that have won it, like A-Trak, Craze, Roc Raida - they were in DJ crews and would have bounced ideas off the other members of their crews. Maybe the other members came up with small sections of their routines or whatever. It's really hard to say just how much input anyone has had from other DJs.

Le jad PM your story in French and I'll translate it.

PS. "cave" in French means cellar/basement so I think he's after that. Jad your English is amazing. Always with the long posts!

Having judged the DMC Scottish final in 2000 I know that there is a category for creativity which you mark 1-3. Ihelp.

DMC doesn thave any categories when judging - as far as im aware you choose your top 3 dj's - and thats it - technically you dont have to qualify why you think they're the best.

Like A-Trak, Craze, Roc Raida - they were in DJ crews and would have bounced ideas off the other members of their crews. Maybe the other members came up with small sections of their routines or whatever. It's really hard to say just how much input anyone has had from other DJs.

Roc Raidas "chief rocka" juggle from his 95 winning set was mister sinista's juggle- sinista says so on a documentary that they put out in the 90's.

also every Dj before this era of custom records used tracks or battle breaks produced by other people. The notable exceptions are Craze and the rock steady djs- who also used battle records they had self produced for there routines - famously craze's two needle dropping routines from his 2000 set.I.emerge was the first to wholesale use custom records - and the first to program synth melody lines to cut with.

^^^I for one surely didn't say there was anything wrong with that... using bale recs, customs, Le Jad or whatever

also every Dj before this era of custom records used tracks or battle breaks produced by other people. The notable exceptions are Craze and the rock steady djs- who also used battle records they had self produced for there routines - famously craze's two needle dropping routines from his 2000 set.I.emerge was the first to wholesale use custom records - and the first to program synth melody lines to cut with.

That's it man. I've never really got "custom records = bad, battle records = OK", because battle records are custom records really. I'd say the important thing with any battle is the judging, but that's hard in itself, especially if certain criteria are not defined in the rules for the contestants and the judges.

^^^I for one surely didn't say there was anything wrong with that... using bale recs, customs, Le Jad or whatever

yeah ,with that i was more referring to the whole discussion about "euro style". It's a lot less black and white and more grey than is often made out- I see what Le Jad,netik and rafik did in 06 and 07 as an extension of what I.emerge started in 05.

That's it man. I've never really got "custom records = bad, battle records = OK", because battle records are custom records really. I'd say the important thing with any battle is the judging, but that's hard in itself, especially if certain criteria are not defined in the rules for the contestants and the judges.

yeah,I see customs and battle records as very simialr things - both very useful- but both having cons as wells as pro's.

Battle records used to really frustrate me a lot of times to be honest. They were/are good for lettin rip and showing your technique off- but dont always lend themselves towards making good music. Between 98 and 2000 i think there were a million beat juggles with super duck breaks - most of them awful!I decided to do a set with no battle records whatsover in my routine for dmc 2001 - not because they were bad- but just cause thats what i wanted to do creatively- (i got my ass kicked by plus 1 mind!)

Edited by Mike-L

@ Mike L yeh you picked your favourite 3 on a mark of one to 3 but i'm sure on the sheet i had there was sections split into technical and creative. I may be wrong this may be from another battle I judged. As for the mr sinister juggle story I find that just as shite as someone producing a custom for you. Do it yourself! Also I watched your billie jean juggle again the other night....that shit was doooope! :d

@ steve I have no problem with custom records produced by the dj. I think that bouncing ideas is different to someone actually writing your set. My argument doesn't stand in the case of the DMCs though as I think it was a different battle which had those categories. So if there is no measure of creativity it doesn't really matter.

At the end of the day though its not so much the customs or the ghostwriters or anything else its the sound. Its just not hip hop anymore nor is it a sound/style I like so thats why I'm gonna have to say...............I'm out!

@ Mike L yeh you picked your favourite 3 on a mark of one to 3 but i'm sure on the sheet i had there was sections split into technical and creative. I may be wrong this may be from another battle I judged.

now you mention it I do remember there being boxes for you to right notes on those forms actually

Also I watched your billie jean juggle again the other night....that shit was doooope! :d

thanks man! ..ah those were the days, havent seen that video in ages cause I lost it.

Until recently I thought that I was the first to juggle with that 6/8 feel, not in a big headed way- just cause id never seen it done on any other vids before that... but I saw cutmaster swifts 90 set about two months ago and theres about 3 seconds of juggling with that 6/8 feel.. and at that moment my small contribution to turntablism evaporated!damn. :((

At the end of the day though its not so much the customs or the ghostwriters or anything else its the sound. Its just not hip hop anymore nor is it a sound/style I like so thats why I'm gonna have to say...............I'm out!

that's because there's not much good hip hop around these days. I've only heard 2 things I like in the last year that are even vaguely hip hop, but then I don't see why you should stick to a certain style anyway cos that not creative either

Here is La Jad's amusing story, as told to Dopp.

"So Rafik's 6 minutes is ready to be sent to be pressed. I give them my instructions for how to cut it: a gap of at least 1.5cm between each track. Each track is supposed to start at the same marker which is at 133.33 bpm. Everything's in place, Rafik will have loads of time to get used to the plates...so we wait. And then I get the discs back. And I look at them some more. Hundreds of them, in their boxes, in the lounge of the flat I rented with Greg who had left for work. Basically a misunderstanding had been reporoduced hundreds of times. One misunterstanding. The bloke who did the cutting thought that each the silence was the start of a track so each time Rafik had put a marker at 133.33 bpm just to mark where he put a sticker, we had this massive gap of over 1cm. Do you know what I mean? Right in the middle of a juggle...BAM...1cm...

So it's the middle of summer, the plant is closed and we have to wait a month to have the discs repressed. With the time needed to press and deliver them, we could well risk not having them in time. in the end it was cool though."

And this story from H-C's blog too:

"The only thing I've been able to produce for tunrtablists is just rough ideas. You need a lot more time to build these sets. And fewer restrictions. If it's not the buzz of competitions, you don't remember much. Everything behind it, backstage, all this nervousness between teenagers, victories, grievances, the contestans just see this as a holy grail, or a cool adventure, sat in the jury on the stage next to some Japanese dude who's gonna vote for the Japanese, get to the final, get the plane, get pissed in the hotel and have a pass hanging off his arse...

I work hard, I don't go to the beach or to clubs and even less to the DMCs. I write patterns. Production is gradually giving way to the simple pleasure of embroidery. Ambition disappears

But occasionally the joy comes rushing back."

© Dopp translations Ltd.

A nation of philosphers speaks!

i hope le jad isnt that arrogant and patronising and condescending in person, lol he would get a headbutt sharpish round my way.

i actually find it embarresing that a producer with real credentials can come on a forum like this and make himself look like the biggest french cocksucker on the planet, it must be all the hours spent infront of a pc monitor that frys the brain a lil and turns you into the ruck.

dude needs to get some i should keep my mouth shut pills and just focus on his mono one monitor euro soundforge next level funky 40yr old wine with rafik and cheese breaks and slide back up his own ass be quiet about it.

i kinda find it insulting how someone can go on like he has created something special, all he has done is trolled through a tone of vengance, dnb, dubstep and grime sample cd's and aranged them in a fun way.

i know tons of half decent dnb producers who could do what he does in a few hours, and thats without the aid of world champs.

also who is actually making scratch recs anymore, its kinda pointless now days in my eyes as there is no money in them and everyone can make their

own now. so to rant on like you are a leader in what you do is stupid as nobody else is doing it. its easy to win races when you are the only one running.

the thing is i like his records, and i used respect him but not now.

loop you say it how it is and you are humble, thats the way to be.

respect bro.

We're on a message board. Like on the "WTK" topic, I could have leave this place or not open the door. If people feel me as an arrogant person... they would spend 1 min with me in real life to see that I'm a shy and respectull person.

Keeping writting here, even if I look arrogant or if I look gay showing my emotions (I'm not afraid of showing emotions, most people feel disturbed by their emotions), is a proof of respect and a serious interest about exchange arguments.

And being so honnest when I writte can't be cock sucking. I criticied Rafik and Unkut's sets myself, but always in french on french message boards. So in this topic, I try to explain a few points.

"i know tons of half decent dnb producers who could do what he does in a few hours"

I heard than so many times. But I've never seen results. Who would spend 3 month for the DMCs? you say I do break records to be the best in a "niche". LOL. I do that because I love doing that. And there's many guys much better than me for crazy basslines and beats etc. I also know very good producers who tried to make beats and help for shows. They stoped after a few days... there's some reasons.

I also work a lot on "new" stuff, like mixing drumming with scratch, using reversible things... because it offers possibilities, it opens a few doors.

Well, I always listen to criticizes, I always said I'm the first peron to feel bad when I see a noiy sensless routine done with my records, sometimes I want to stop. But now I calmed down what I do on battle breaks, especialy for the incoming ones. I could live much better if I would stop producing those records and only do masterings a ghost productions.